1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ohioans- where do you buy your organic or high quality feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by daniellea2912, Feb 10, 2014.

1. daniellea2912

daniellea2912 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2013
    Ohio
    I am between Dayton and Columbus and having trouble finding a feed I like for my 11 hens. I started them off on Dumor, but I hate how much of the bag is dust. So I tried the tizwhiz layer pellets which I didnt like either because the shells seemed to lose color-all seemed to look the same lighter shade of brown without the usual speckles some have. I went back to the Dumor for awhile until I got fed up with all the dust again.... and recently decided to give purina sunfresh a go- I am not even totally switched over to the purina yet and the eggs are loosing color again and they just dont feel the same-instead of looking a little shiny they look dull. I just feel like they must be missing something in the diet for the eggs to just not look as good. Maybe its the fish meal in the Dumor? i dont know.

Anywho I wondered if anyone nearby me could let me know what they are feeding? I have looked into some organic layer feeds but I cant find retailers anywhere near by (most seem to be in northern Ohio a few hours away) and to be totally honest, I would prefer an organic feed but dont want to pay 30 bucks or more a bag to have it shipped to me so I am willing to go for a nice high quality feed.

Thanks [​IMG]

2. blackswamp

blackswamp Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2012
    NW Ohio
    Have you tried your local county co-op feed store. I would bet they don't have it but they might be able to order it for you. I order from ours all the time. Have you tried Rural King?

3. daniellea2912

Apr 22, 2013
    Ohio
    I tried the co-op in town, but all they carry is purina and their own brand which only comes in a mash-and mine eat pellets much better than mash and crumbles... I may branch out to co-ops in other cities nearby and look there...

I looked at the nearest Rural King, all they carry is Nutrena and Country Road- has anyone tried either of those?

4. blackswamp

blackswamp Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2012
    NW Ohio
    I use Rural King crumbles & they seem to like it. It's on sale this week for $9.99 a 50# bag.

5. daniellea2912

Apr 22, 2013
    Ohio
    Thanks for the info :)

6. daniellea2912

Apr 22, 2013
    Ohio
    Anyone used Buckley Brothers and liked it? I found a distributor about an hour away...

7. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I order mine from countryside organics. They ship and have reasonable prices and shipping.

8. 4HDad

4HDad Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2011
    West Central, Ohio
    The area between Dayton and Columbus covers a lot of ground. I am in the northern section of that area.

Have you considered Hubbard or Kent feeds?

We used the Hubbard FastGrow for our meat birds, but have also heard good things about their Layer feed. Around here it can be purchased at Corner Visions Feed. It is between Urbana and St. Paris.

We haven't used any of the Kent feed, but when I was researching feed it received a lot of great reviews. It can be purchased at Westville Grain, just south of Westville.

We actually use Purina. It works well with our d'Anvers. The eggs are much better eating than store bought (though need more of them to make a meal) and we have had very good hatch rates. It also keeps the birds in good health: good feather condition, nice red combs & face and active.

Roger

9. daniellea2912

Apr 22, 2013
    Ohio

Thanks for the info! Mine are almost switched over to the purina from the dumor so I am going to give them a few months on that to see how they look and what the eggs look like. I think if I don't like the purina, I might try the Kent as it seems to be a name that keeps popping up... Plus last time I checked there was a kent retailer in Cedarville which is only about 10 miles from me :)

10. star2525

star2525 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2009
    Zanesville, Ohio
    I found corn in Delaware that is non gmo.
    I'm looking too. Found Hiland in Kilbuck has non gmo.
    Currently researching goat feed also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by