Ohylimes chickens :)! Chickens in California Backyard.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Ohylime, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Ohylime

Ohylime Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2012
    Hacienda Hts, CA
    My Coop
    I'll just post picture and updates about my chickens in this thread! So that I wont make a new thread every time :)!

[​IMG]
    It all started when my boyfriends dad ordered 50 RIR babies

When those grew up and had more babies the following year, once in awhile there would be like 1 new chick that would be mixed into a group of older chics. Sometimes they got bullied alot and would get sick. So one day i decided to take one home.

[​IMG]
    He would keep warm by my computer.

[​IMG]

As it got older, I realized I couldnt just throw the chick back into the humongous flock. So I got 2 Easter Egger Chicks

[​IMG]
    Easter Egger that survived. One of them died. He grew super slow and didnt make it when they were older and outside ;(

[​IMG]

the young chickens are not afraid of my dog!

The original chic that i named pumpkin cause i thought i was a girl until recently when she started to crow is the one messing with the dog :)!
    and the easter egger named chocobo is the one in the back.

AANNDD my first egg!!! SOOOo EXCIITEEDD waited from august for this day!
    now just waiting for her to become broody to add few more chicks or to hand raise a few more chicks again!

[​IMG] 2/24/12!

So far only have 2 chickens! Soon to get more :)!

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I love the photo of the dog and chicken. Quite the confrontation going on there!

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    X2. The photos look like a great start of a life long chicken adventure.

4. Ohylime

Feb 11, 2012
    Hacienda Hts, CA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Here is my little coop! we let them out of the pen a lot and they just end up going back in at night.

[​IMG]
    2nd Egg!!

[​IMG]
    2nd egg !! 2/25/12

5. Ohylime

Feb 11, 2012
    Hacienda Hts, CA
    My Coop
    So my rooster has been getting kinda mean lately. Its almost impossible to pick him up compared to a few weeks ago. He bit me once pretty hard leaving a bruise. More pictures coming soon :)

6. christineavatar

christineavatar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Bolinas, CA
    His behavior is known as the play for dominance. You need to convince him that it's your flock and he is your rooster. You are the dominant one of the flock. I have heard that if you pick them up and hold them for a span of time it helps break them of it. What I have done is follow them around - that is, sort of chase them - and make them move from you. By doing this for about five minutes the rooster starts to understand that you are alpha and he is subservient.

7. Ohylime

Feb 11, 2012
    Hacienda Hts, CA
    My Coop
    Thanks for the advice :)! So I went out a few days ago with a sweater and decided im going to pick him up. And I did [​IMG] He wasnt too happy, but I dont think he will ever be too aggressive thank goodness! [​IMG]

My brother was able to record him crowing. He sounds sooo baad! He needs to learn how to do it properly

8. christineavatar

christineavatar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Bolinas, CA
    Maybe he'll sound better when his voice changes, he-he-he!

9. Desirai

Desirai Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2011
    Alabama
    LOL at the video. So sad. hahaha

10. Ohylime

Feb 11, 2012
    Hacienda Hts, CA
    My Coop
    So exciting! So orginally I was going to get orpington chicks and barred rock cause they are most common. But my neighbor just blessed me with chicks! hopfully they turn out to be hens or well behaved boys!

Will post picture ^^

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by