Oil-filled radiator for the coop?

2DogsFarm

Songster
10 Years
Apr 10, 2009
NW Indiana
Right now I'm providing some extra warmth in my coop with a 75W bulb.
But that needs to get turned off at night.

I was thinking of getting an oil-filled radiator to add some warmth overnight.
They are not a fire hazard as the oil is contained in a sealed unit and they provide a good amount of heat.
Relatively inexpensive at around $40.
I used to heat a tiled 12X16 basement bathroom to cozy with one of them.

My coop is not airtight, but not drafty either so I was thinking the radiator would keep the hens (& cockerel) warm in the below zero windchills we're having this week.

Is anyone using something like this?

I love my oil filled radiators, but no, I wouldn't use it in a coop. I've actually tried it and once I saw the amount of dust buildup I removed it. The vents are crucial to safe operation and too much coop dust could get in and cause a fire.

I actually use one and have had no problems in 4 years.......................I have a barn......................chrisf

Last edited:
I use an oil filled heater in the coop and have for 2 years now... no problems except i had to fence it off with chicken wire cause the chickens wanter to roost on it and would knock it over. I have it up on a shelf not sitting right on the floor

I tried the oil filled radiator in my coop. It got covered with bedding and dust and even poo where the chickens flew up and roosted on it! I tried the heat lamp but always worried about a fire.
If you are using a 75 watt bulb and need it turned off at night for chickens to sleep I assume? Why not try a red 75 or 100 watt bulb instead. They will not mind it as much as a glaring white one.
I prefer the red heat bulbs when brooding chicks cause they get more rest...

Hmmm...so far the voting is split
2 For
2 Against

I could easily dust the radiator at least once a day since I visit the coop 2X daily
I may try picking up a red heatlamp bulb from the feedstore instead since that would be a cheaper solution.

Done it, LOVE it. Not using one this year, until it's consistently below 0.

I cover it with pavers so they don't poop on it, and it sits up off the floor on bricks. I don't think I'd use anything but this!

I keep one running in the barn every winter. When it's below freezing outside, the barn stays about 40 degrees. I keep a wire cage on top of it so the chickens won't try to roost & burn their feet. I have used heatlamps before, but I prefer this heater. I think the chickens do too because it's a little warmer.

Wanted to followup to this thread, as I'm also considering the oil-filled radiator option...

My situation is slightly different in that my coop is directly attached to the house and I'm constantly worried about the fire danger. I know that some folks maintain that heating the coop isn't really necessary, but it can get pretty nasty here in Montana and my wife and kids can't bear the thought of leaving the birds unprotected in the frigid temps. Up until now, we've been using a heat lamp with a red 250W bulb (seems like the standard wattage, as based on what's available at our local ranch supply place). But that hot bulb worries me, what with all the dust. I am constantly nagging our son to clean the bulb with a can of compressed air, but he forgets and the dust accumulates on and around the bulb.

I have oil filled electric radiator heaters in my office and other rooms and they NEVER feel hot to the touch, only warm. It seems like that would be way safer than any kind of bulb, so I'm puzzled why some posters have advised against it.

Any more feedback on this topic?

Cheers,
Bert

Edit: Just in case it's not clear what we're talking about, here's a link:
http://www.amazon.com/DeLonghi-EW77...r_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1292871244&sr=1-1

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom