Oil Gland on Tail

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by spook, Aug 24, 2008.

1. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey guys I have a question for you...do you remove the oil gland that is on the top of their tails?
    Interestingly, my mom just asked that and curious, thought I'd ask who does remove and whom does not.
    Thanks!
    Kel

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I believe it is standard to remove it or you'll end up with a bitter flavor.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    If you are dressing out the birds during dispatch - yes, remove it.

If they are still living don't touch it. They need it.

4. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

I'm too lazy to mess with it so I just cut off the whole tail.

5. MaineChickens

MaineChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    I tried that "cutting off the tail" but then you end up with a buttless chicken. For stuffing, it just doesn't work out right. Plus, for those of us who have family that thinks store bought is better, they look "different" from store birds. My 16 year old niece won't eat it if she knows it was one of my chickens. Go figure.

I did cut off the duck tails, but all I stuff them with is fruit anyway.

6. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    I cut off the whole tail too usually.

7. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Miss Prissy, sorry to say it like this...that I would assume would be a no brainer...hope no one removes my oil gland while I'm still walking- dang.
    Thanks for your responses, I have left the processed birds in the refridgerator, I will open zip lock bags and do the deed!

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    People completely inexperienced with chickens have come here seeking help after pulling off or injuring the oil gland on their chickens. Some thought is was a pimple or infected feather site.

It is not always a no brainer.

9. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Quote:We must remember that people new to chickens don't always know their parts. I had a guy that was concerned about the funny things on the sides of their heads. He said he thought it was suppose to be there as they all had them. And they were....................................................the ears!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by