Oil Gland Torn :(

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by daidyducks, Nov 20, 2011.

1. daidyducks

daidyducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Ontario,CA
    So just a month ago my male pekin was attacked by cats and unfortunately didnt make it :'(
    My hubby and I heard my girl quacking and ran outside with enough time to save her.
    We noticed some wounds, with one major one near her leg, we took her to the vet and all and didnt focus on the rest of her wounds. , I started noticing that water does not drip off her back anymore, she just gets soaked and takes her a looonnggg time to dry up. So today, since its a rainy day I decided to see whats wrong with her gland and turns out its all torn up, its knotted with her feathers and some pieces are just hanging there.
    Is there anything I can do?!
    I also noticed her feathers are getting yellowy and some feathers are growing out of her wing. At first I thought "molting" but shes barely 9 months old.
    When I took her to a doctor after the accident, I just took her to a regular pet clinic because I couldnt find any bird vets around. can her gland heal properly now? She seems to get a little oil throughout the day but Im not sure its working..could be that she dries up in the sun...
    but now that its rainy day season here in Ontario (CA) I dont know where to keep her or what to do about her getting wet. Its not "freezing-cold" its just rainy and cold. She has a little house we made her where water doesnt get in but I get sad when I have to put her in there, she LOVES to be out u know? She LOVES WATER! [​IMG] Im confused and I honestly do not know what to do ..
    thanks for any help!

2. pekinsRus

pekinsRus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    I'd bring her in for a tub - bath in the br & let her enjoy & preen & dry inside. Then I would apply neosporin with my hand & massage it into all her wounds & around her gland. This "spa treatment" will help her & let you see her up close & clean. I'd also look for a different vet! I hope this helps!!! I am a big fan of neosporin!! I use it on bumble-foot & any & all wounds our Pekins get!!

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I have also heard that warm compresses to the oil gland can help.

4. daidyducks

Feb 24, 2011
    Ontario,CA
    Quote:Will neosporin help heal an oil gland???

5. daidyducks

Feb 24, 2011
    Ontario,CA
    Quote:I'm not sure what you mean..? By warm compresses..

6. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:I'm not sure what you mean..? By warm compresses..

A warm wet rag.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  7. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    To make a warm compress - Soak a towel or something fairly absorbent in warm water - gently apply it to the oil gland area. The heat will assist in loosening oil that is building up in the area allowing you to try to keep the area cleaner so it can heal.

8. daidyducks

Feb 24, 2011
    Ontario,CA
    Quote:Oh I get it!
    Will the oil gland heal on its own or do I have to take her to a vet???

9. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    I am also a big fan of neosporin. Yes it will help her oil gland heal up.

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Oh I get it!
    Will the oil gland heal on its own or do I have to take her to a vet???

How is the oil gland looking now compared to the 21st?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by