1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Oil Soaked Chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MrsMopar, Mar 9, 2017.

1. MrsMopar

MrsMopar Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2017
    Warning: I'm a brand new first time chicken mom. What an adventure!

I have 23 chicks (started with 26) from McMurray. Today is Thursday. My chicks arrived last Wednesday. So I am assuming that they are approx 10 days old. I had NO IDEA that they would be flying so quickly!

Today one of them escaped and got caught in the middle of a sticky trap - like you use for mice! Holy cow, that was a mess. After a quick google search and a lot of patience, we managed to get all the glue off using cooking oil.

Advice please:
    She's now covered in food grade oil. I dabbed as much oil as I could from her, and I've isolated her from the other chicks so she can rest while I'm at work. I'm hoping for the best when I get home. Assuming she's okay, though likely still an oily thing ... are the other chicks likely to peck her like she's a treat?!! Does the oil present any other danger?

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Dawn dish soap. Its what they use on ducks after oil spills..

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  3. MrsMopar

Mar 9, 2017
    Am I better to wash her, or leave her? I called McMurray before leaving her while I'm at work - they told me that she'll be fine. They told me she's too young to use dawn on. But I wanted to ask the experts. I'm concerned about how the other chicks will react -- because I know they love their treats!

4. eggbert420

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    I really don't know.

5. amaugans

amaugans Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2016
    Ohio
    I would definitely bathe in dawn dish soap! If her feathers are oily then she will have a hard time staying warm/ cooling down. It's super easy, just give a bubble bath. I've used peanut butter in the past to get glue traps off of feathers then bathed in dawn dish soap to get peanut butter/oil off.

1 person likes this.
  6. allosaurusrock

allosaurusrock Chillin' With My Peeps

Or at least just try giving her a little bath and rinsing it off, then blow drying the chick.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  7. MrsMopar

Mar 9, 2017
    Headed home now to give a warm dawn bath followed by a blow dry. This makes more sense to me than leaving her oily until new feathers come in. Thanks so much!!

8. amaugans

amaugans Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2016
    Ohio
    Aw yay! She will be fine and happy to have the oil off

9. eggbert420

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Be sure to get her warm after she is dry.

10. MrsMopar

Mar 9, 2017
    All done. She's eating warm egg and then I'll put her in with her crew. Poor girl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by