Oil Stained show bird.

Brahmalover4eva

Songster
May 21, 2014
coldest 48
Okay, my bird is a purebred Light Brahma pullet and they got lice YAY! (SARCASM). So I decided to make lice spray 'till we got Permethrin and it had oil (canola) + spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, & cayenne pepper), BAD IDEA!!!. HER FEATHERS ARE BROWN!!! NOT WHITE!!! The oil made it stick to the feathers. I gave her and her fellow chooks a bath BUT i didn't use soap i used vinegar because the bath was for lice not her feathers so do y'all know how to get rid of this ugly crap so I can show her?!?!
ALL ANSWERS APPRECIATED!!!
Gigi ~
D.gif

try "washing" her in baking soda water. Mix it as a liquid not a paste and used distilled water. Let it sit on her for about 10 minutes or so, add more baking soda to her body and rub it in really well, then rinse her with white vinegar. You may have to do it a few times and you might also want to try lemon juice and distilled water in a sprayer and set her in the sun as it will lighten the stain. Good luck. Honey is also a lightener. ALso, when it gets lightened it will still not be bright white, I would put a little bit of blueing (be careful a little bit goes a long way, you don't want her to be blue) in the rinse water after the vinegar just to whiten her up.

Last edited:
I agree with the Dawn soap...only thing that will 'solve' the oils.....sooner the better, the longer oil sits the harder it is to dissolve.

Speaking from a purely girl point of view.....Paul Mitchell has a shampoo that has a blue agent called "platinum blonde" I believe it is. That would be gentle yet cleansing, they also have a pet shampoo for dogs that has the same thing (I use it on my partly white dog to brighten her up).
I have used P.M. dog shampoo on my hatchery Brahma when he got covered in poo.... long story but it lathered nice and left him very shiny.

Last edited:
I don't know much about washing chickens, but I saw this whitening shampoo used on a silkie, maybe that will work on your chicken? Hope it won't turn her purple though.

(see 0:45)

Back
Top Bottom