Oilpainter, Artist, Chicken Fancier and New Member

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by oilpainter, Mar 8, 2013.

1. oilpainter

oilpainter New Egg

Mar 8, 2013
    HI I am new here but not to raising chickens.

I have been around and with chickens and more most of my life, I have raised chickens constantly for the past 20 years or so but had them off and on my whole life. My parents raised chickens and rabbits when I was a child and other family member had them also.

I adore watching chickens and interacting with them, if you notice my facebook and avatar for here is a chicken of my drawing. My art studio is the Blue Dragonfly so my chicken has dragonflies around her head.

I won a contest so I will be adding a dozen baby Buff Orpington chicks to my flock of now just 2. We had several more but we have some hungry Bald Eagles at nesting time they carried them away. And yes they do come and get easy picking especially at nesting time but we have them all year round here in Western Washington where I live so it is a constant thing year round to watch out for. I have hatched eggs and had old chickens die of strokes, foxes or other critters carry off chickens etc.

I was searching to chicken coop plans to build a new coop, the one we have now is old and falling apart.

I look forward on here and facebook to learning more from all of you and enjoying myself with others who love chickens.

Look forward to getting acquainted,
    Maryann Proctor, alias oilpainter

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The "Raising backyard chickens" forum has a great coop design section. You may find some good ideas there. Welcome to BYC.

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Maryann, and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard! Great avatar - you are very talented! Good luck to you!!

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

I find that heavy-duty poultry netting over the run is sturdy enough to repel even large raptors

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by