Ointment for cuts?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by devora, Aug 6, 2007.

1. What do you put on an open cut? I cleaned it w/ hydrogen peroxide. It's on my Turken's neck so it's a featherless area.

Thanx!

2. Motherhenandflock

Motherhenandflock Songster

May 17, 2007
    Southeast Idaho
    Lots of people use Neosporin.
    Just watch that the other birds don't start picking at your Turken and make it Lots worse.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD

Yeah, I use neosporen. If there is possibility of picking, I would dab on some blue kote.

4. FamilyOfChickens

FamilyOfChickens Songster

Mar 24, 2007
    Northwest Indiana
    Those both work well, but pine tar is what I use instead of Blu-Kote or Wound-Kote.

5. I have her separated but would prefer to let her free range w/ the others. The darn BR keep pecking at the cut and opening it up.

Does pine tar/Blu-kote stop the others from picking at the wound?

6. Wolfpacker

Wolfpacker Songster

Jul 7, 2007
    Raleigh
    I would use hydrogen peroxide ONCE to clean and flush the wound. Then I'd use Neosporin regularly and keep her inside and away from the rest of the flock until she heals. It won't take long. Neosporin works pretty quickly.

7. FamilyOfChickens

FamilyOfChickens Songster

Mar 24, 2007
    Northwest Indiana
    If you can't get pine tar or Blue-Kote, then do seperate her until it heals. One of my Ameracauna pullets, Bella, got a hunk torn out of her backside when she was a few weeks old. She was fighting an infection for a week or so, but got over it. I seperated her for a few weeks, but my darn old dad ([​IMG]) just tossed her back in with the rest! She had just started to heal over, and got the wound reopened. However, after a month or so, I couldn't even see where it was. [​IMG] Sorry for going on. What I mean is that birds are pretty tough- they can handle a lot more than what you think. No whenever I have an injury, I just spread pine tar on it and put them right back in with the others. Everyone's gotten better! Just do what you think will work best for you, basically. [​IMG]

8. Quote:No problem 'going on'! I obviously need the help. [​IMG]

As for 'tough,' this Turken was bitten by a rattler! You are right about how tough they can be.[​IMG]

Thanx all for your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: