1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

ointment to use on Chicken that has been plucked clean on neck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by w8tn4fresheggs, Oct 18, 2007.

1. w8tn4fresheggs

w8tn4fresheggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Nebraska
    Hello. My RIR, Josephine has gotten into the habit of fluffing up my EE Penny's pretty tuffs on her ears and her neck. She is the only one that does this. Eventually, she fluffed up too hard and completly pulled her feathers out. Penny, seems clueless and lets her do it. Is there something I can put on it, to deter Josephine from continuing her sisterly smoothering of Penny? Thanks, Steph

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2007
  2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
  3. sunnychooks

sunnychooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    I've tried Hot Pick and it didn't work. A remedy I heard about but have not yet tried is to smear Noxema (or the cheap walmart version) on her. It may be worth a try.

4. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    vicks vapor rub will work when all others fail...

5. w8tn4fresheggs

w8tn4fresheggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Nebraska
    Thanks everyone. I think I will try the vicks, since I do have it on hand.

I am thinking of getting a first aid kit for chickens, because as of now I have nothing for supplies.

Thanks again, Steph

6. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Oh, the Hot Pick doesn't work? i ordered it when i had the problem with my EE pulling my Polish's crest feathers, but it didn't get here until after i got him off to a nice safe Dude Ranch.

i never heard of the vicks vaporub cure. What a great suggestion. Steph, you will have to tell us if it works for your girl.

7. jenichick

jenichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    NC
    I use Blue Kote spray (from feed store) on my chickens whenever they get pecked bare. It's worked everytime, but it does leave the feathers purple for a while and doesn't come out of skin or clothes very easy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by