OK...1 egg every other ??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by The_Henway, Oct 22, 2008.

1. The_Henway

The_Henway New Egg

Oct 22, 2008
    NH
    Hi all...Been using this site since we started "thinking" about getting chickens...Finaly registered and this is our first post.... We have 8 hens, 7 barred rocks and 1 black sexling (i've been told that's what she is). They are 23 weeks today and we've been getiing roughly an egg every other day since oct. 7 Should we be getting more? Also how much light do they need? Thanks for all the great info we've used from BYC members!:eek:

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    23 weeks is still on the young end, As time goes on and the days are longer you SHOULD get more, I belive its 12 - 14 hours a day of light, You could try adding some fake light for a few hours a day.

3. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Oppps..... Almost forgot [​IMG]

4. The_Henway

The_Henway New Egg

Oct 22, 2008
    NH
    Thanks...We've been running a light all night for warmth...is this a bad idea??[​IMG]

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    First, it's common to get an early layer and her schedule may be erratic for awhile. My first to lay did the every other day thing for awhile.
    If you choose to add light to up egg production it is roughly 14 hrs. a day. Best to add the extra light in the AM, rather than the PM. Not everyone adds light; myself included.
    Lastly, you don't mention where you live but at 23 weeks old they don't need additional heat...in less you live like in Siberia. You might want to wean them off the heat light and let them slowly acclimate to the cold. Electricity does go out in the wintertime and your birds will be better off if they have acclimated to the colder temperatures.

6. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    I would make sure they get some dark time !!!!! If they never have dark they think the night is day. I agree with gritsar about the not needing heat and they should become use to the cold.... Also if you must keep a heat lamp you could use a red bulb instead of white !!!!!

7. The_Henway

The_Henway New Egg

Oct 22, 2008
    NH
    That's great to know...Thanks a ton...my electric bill thanks you too! WQe're in central NH dropping into the twenties at night now, The coop is 80% insulated but how cold is too cold? [​IMG]

8. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:Im in NH also, where are you ???? I'm going to be putting a red heat lamp in both my coops so the water doesnt freeze also to let off a little heat. Chickens will keep each other warm also....

9. The_Henway

The_Henway New Egg

Oct 22, 2008
    NH
    We're in Boscawen, near Concord. Thanks for the info. How about during the winter, can we let the out during the day?

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    If I were you I wouldn't make it an overnight change. Decrease the amount of time you provide the light little by little. Give them time to acclimate.
    As swtangel said you can position your light over your waterer to keep the water from freezing; and add a bit of additional heat.
    Try and find a red bulb. It will provide what you need without exposing the chickens to light 24/7.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by