1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ok 18 eggs from 14 chickens how is this possible?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicksdigit, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Chicksdigit

Chicksdigit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    Tool, Texas
    Ok yesterday we gathered 9 eggs from our hens and today we had 18 eggs we have 15 hens and one is with her chicks so just 14 are laying I know they just lay one a day and 9 or 10 is the norm for our girls but today we got 18 .....any thoughts?

2. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    maybe some layed late yesterday and you didnt get to collect those ones until the next day adding up to 18 maybe

3. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    I'd like some of those hens please;)

I've read of a bird that the hatcher said laid twice a day....

I'm going to go see if I can find that link!

4. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    only you can tell me if I am wrong, but my guess is you checked the nests earlier than the hens were ready to call it a day. My theory.......all 14 laid, but you only picked up 9, and then 5 more laid eggs, just before dark. This morning they started up again and you checked your eggs later than yesterday and again all or most of the hens laid.....5 + 13 = 18 or 4 + 14 = 18
    Or perhaps they moved the eggs around in the nesting litter, making finding it more difficult and today they surfaced

5. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    new math [​IMG]

6. bigoakhunter

bigoakhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    Can you tell me what breed or breeds those hens are? ... I may have the wrong type. LOL

Probably the timing thing...but at the very least you have some hens that are producing a lot of eggs! Rock On...

7. Chicksdigit

Apr 5, 2009
    Tool, Texas
    I think that is probably right 13 one day and 14 the other.... I probably did gather them a little earlier yesterday anyway they are hitting on all the cylinders that means all of our pullets are laying I am certainly happy their production dropped last month when I started feeding the 17% pellets I went back to the 20% starter/grower and a self feeder of oyster shell and they are looking better and laying better and frankly I think they are acting happier hehe sounds funny but I think they are.

8. Chicksdigit

Apr 5, 2009
    Tool, Texas
    Quote:8 are our original girls bought last November from Ideal We ordered different breeds 12 of them two Barred Rocks which was

because one of the barred Rocks was a Roo. I hatched another 11 out 6 months ago So all of the new girls are at least 1/2 Barred

Rock. In the first generation it looks like Barred Rock is Dominant over everything except White Leghorns. We have 4 White Leghorn

hens and there were 4 white leghorns hatched out of that batch. The Leghorns are laying machines they hardly ever miss even a

day. Big nice white eggs. Farm fresh white eggs are good, as well as brown ones.

9. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    Quote:they should be on layers if they are laying now not starter/grower starter is for the first few weeks like up to 5 or 6 weeks and grower is from then on till about 16 weeks. and i know what you mean about the leghorns are machines mine were crazy layers they are molting now so thats why no laying machines right now lol

10. Keara

Keara Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    Vermont
    I had RIRs who layed brown eggs twice a day I think it is common for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by