OK 19 weeks and still NO EGGS!!! GRRRR! **EDIT**(We HAVE EGGS NOW!!!!)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mommystayshome, Dec 11, 2008.

1. mommystayshome

mommystayshome Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2008
    OK so I need some help. My girls are 19 weeks old and I still have NO eggs. I know I should be patient but I want eggs!! LOL! All three of my girls are BR anyone have any insight as to when a BR starts to lay?? THanks![​IMG]

**EDIT**
    So of course right after I complain about it enough and go buy a dozen eggs from the store this morning I went to check on my girls and AHHHHHHHH AN EGG!!!!!!!! YEAH I ma SOOOOO HAPPY!! IT's pretty big to I am so PROUD!! WHOEVER it was laid at 20 weeks and 2 days! Horray!!!! THanks for your imput!!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  2. new chicken mommy

new chicken mommy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2008
    athens vt
    Mine started about 18 weeks. Sorry they will lay soon i bet! any squatting yet?

3. mommystayshome

mommystayshome Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2008
    No, nothin. I'm starting to get a little worried because the lady at the feed store told me to change their food to mash at 12 weeks so they have been on mash and not starter since then. I hope htat dosen't mess with anything. She seems to know what she is talking about though. She has DOZENS of chickens running around the store and she is ALWAYS trying to get rid of eggs. I just HOPE she didn't ruin my ladies by telling me this![​IMG]

4. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Some of mine didn't start til 26-28 weeks. I have seen posts where people said theirs were 30-32 weeks old. You gotta be patient [​IMG]

5. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    also cold and less sunlight will slow or stop some breeds from production... i have some that are 6 month old (24 weeks)cochins, minorca, OEG, andalusian, they have not started to lay..
    last week my EEs and marans started to lay(23 weeks old)
    it will happen.. just be patient

6. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    i have some25 week old buff orps nothing yet havent got much of acomb or wattles yet either also 31 week old delawares no eggs yet.

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Have some patience my dear. 26 weeks is average so you have a ways to go, and some of the little darlings wait til they are 8 months You just never know....

8. sdshoars

sdshoars Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Texas
    agreed, 19 weeks, if you get eggs that early you are one of the super lucky ones. my BO and GLW just started this week and they are 26 weeks old. average. so be patient you've got a ways to go yet. the trick is to give up. i gave up, and i started getting eggs.

9. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    My BR girl was about 24 weeks when she started laying and that was late spring, so otherwise ideal conditions. She lays a big beautiful egg, so they're well worth waiting for! Of couse, now she's going through a rough moult, so I haven't gotten one from her in a while. Sorry I can't give you happier news, but they're great birds!

10. Jonny-Chicken

Jonny-Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2008
    Lowbanks, Ontario
    Be Patient... They will come. I just today received my first egg! My hen is just over 22 weeks old. I'm not sure if this mattered, but a few days ago I switched their feed from a Grower to Laying Rations... Could just be a coincidence...

Anyway, keep your eye out. Also, you may want to poke around their living area, they may have laid some eggs in strange places other than the nest box.

Good luck...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by