1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

OK... 30 weeks and no eggs.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by roocrazy, Nov 13, 2011.

1. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    really frustrated now, what do i do?

2. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Don't worry it will happen! What breeds do ya have, some are slower then others, also the may just wait til spring to start as its getting colder now and everyone is slowing down right now at least mine have and mine are also going through there fall molt.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

What breeds do you have? What are they fed? Are they hatchery stock or from a solid breeder?

4. roocrazy

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    New Hampshire, Gold Star, and Barred Rock, right now the are being fed cracked corn for the winter and with plenty of treats. treats include vegetables, fruits, and some cat food for some additional protein. oh and they are from a hatchery. and they do have a lamp to increase "daylight" hours.

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Is the cracked corn being fed just as a treat? You don't want to give them much. They need to be eating layer feed, around 16% protein or better. Eggs are pretty much all protein, so if they're not getting enough protein, they're not going to produce eggs well.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Layer feed is your answer.

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Are they free ranged, in the morning?

8. roocrazy

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    they were free ranged, but now they are confined, no secret nests.

9. woody1

woody1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2010
    Just North of the PRK
    Those girls should be laying like crazy. My brown egg girls, 2 BR, 2 RIR, 2 Black sex links were each laying 4-6 eggs per week at 30 weeks. Get 'em off the corn and give them layer feed at free will, ie, in front of 'em all the time. You will need to give 'em light at about 14 hrs. per day.
    Regards, Woody

10. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    I agree with the layer feed. I do have one hen that is over 36 weeks and I have only gotten one egg last week and none since. That was her first and only so far. [​IMG] I think it is more so the breed in my case.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by