Ok $40 LG or build another coolerbator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tazcat70, Mar 27, 2011.

1. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

Ok it would be so easy to run down to TSC and buy an LG, but I have heard lots of horror stories.

Or for about the same price I can build another coolerbator.

Thoughts?

2. kaitlyn_rae2003

kaitlyn_rae2003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    Laconia NH
    I have heard a lot of horror stories, but also a lot of success stories! I am not much help, but i think if you know how successful you can be with a homemade one, and its not overly time consuming, id do that...But the LG at 39.99 is tempting! open and unplug! I have heard a lot of happy hatches come from them too.... sorry wish I could be a voice of reason!
    Good luck though!!!

3. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Coolerbator hands down! My LG I have had for 1 year and used it 7 times the fan is dead and the heating element is going out.

4. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    I have great hatches in my LG incubator , you just have to find your mojo as with any incubator thats why they say run them first for a few hours or even a few days before adding eggs this way you know what kind of temps you will be dealing with TSC also gives you a full refund if your not happy with them as long as you don't soil it.

Give it a try the most and worst thing that happen to me was my eggs were not fertile in the first place.

Get a fish tank thermometer from walmart or any where for that matter they are under 2.00 it will be your best friend through your whole hatch.

The digitals always go crazy up and down cause they are so sensitive.

The nob to the heating element is also very sensitive one to many turns or one turn in the wrong direction will mess up

cheap incubators shouldn't be left alone in a room that changes a lot in temperature from highs to lows, it took me and my daughter watching 2 LG Incubators taking turns to figure out what was the best route to take.

Make notes of any changes you do and make sure you write down the time next to it.

This takes a lot of the guess work out of hatching.

5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I say go with the coolerbator, it won't be made in China but by you, it won't need to have a whole instruction section on Mojo and praying to all of the God's for good hatches and with yours many many chicks will be saved. Sorry just not a fan of LG horror stories they are getting so old on the board.

AL

6. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Quote:This! ^

7. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    Quote:I didnt pray I just put the eggs in after i had my temps set and started hatching

I got 100% hatch rate both times so far since I switch from digital to fish thermometer.

This LG incubator I bought used came with no fan I put computer fan in it and I have had it since last year its been really good for a used Incubator.
    I bought another one in feb. It has been good to me also and gave me 100% hatch rate.

8. bel

bel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    East bay
    If you have already had sucess with a coolerbator, I would go with another of the same.

9. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

Thank you all. I appreciate it!

10. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:I would built a coolebator. If I wanted to built one can do it for price of a thermostat, I got all needed parts around the house (free cooler from some food packaging, salvaged computer fans, bulbs, sockets etc.)

I thing if one looks around can find most of the needed parts free or cheap.

Should be much less than $40 bucks or whatever.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by