OK, after one day in the group, you've talked me into it!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Bram, May 8, 2009.

1. Bram

Bram Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2009
    Southeastern Illinois
    :)OK, hubby says yes, so here we go! I'm excited and want everything right now! But, I know it will come slow. Here's what we will convert into our coop. Whaddya think? Some work to do at the windows with hardware cloth and it will come off of the trailer and onto blocks, and we'll have to do something else on the walls over the insulation sheets. Hubby is tired of messing with the deer blind, often too difficult to get it in where he wants to set it up, so it will be our first coop! If all goes well, we will build a tractor later on and keep this just for wintering. Offer all the suggestions you can on the coop. There are a few more days of rain...so I have time to formulate the work ahead! Thanks![​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  2. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Looks almost ideal as is. Put in some roosts with something to catch the poop, add nest boxes, put a tarp down to help clean the floor occasionally (Go with deep litter), and you're in business. I really like that full size door. I'd just turn those milk crates forward and put one on each side of the door as nesting boxes in front of it; then you could get the eggs when you open the door.

EDIT: BTW, you might get some ideas from my BYC Page if you care to look at it.

3. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    That will be great! How many clucks are you planning on getting?

4. Bram

Bram Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2009
    Southeastern Illinois
    I think 6! I'm unlearned about all of this, but from what I've read here onsite, I'll probably go with Red Star, RIR or NH Reds. I'm sure I'll try other breeds to as I learn!

5. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    Your building looks great! Please read:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-VENTILATION

It took my brain FOREVER to understand how you get good ventilation without drafts for the winter. Looks like you have some good windows in this building, and that'll help.

Birds don't sweat, so they need good ventilation to rid themselves of toxins. They need lots of fresh air.

Post pics when you're done! Remember to take a lot of them. I like the posts with narration. [​IMG]

6. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

hehe DH is also letting me use one of his 3 deer stands as a temp coop since the real one is kind of HUGE lol. I think its an excellent way to make something hideous much more appealing! Good luck!

7. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    Sounds like you're a deer-hunting-season widow!

8. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I think its great .. Iwould leave it on the wheels though .. I am still trying to get enough Manpower over to my house to move my coop... I love reusing old stuff.... I agree though a lil hardware cloth maybe some cheap panel board so they cant eat the insulation, a roost and turn those milk crates over, also check you local hardware store for remnanat linoleum for your floor..

9. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

this is a very nice little building for a coop.

10. codybird

codybird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Near Myrtle Beach
    The man really loves you! Giving up a deer stand is the ultimate sacrifice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by