OK all you gardeners.........

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by justusnak, Apr 23, 2008.

1. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Which way do you run YOUR rows?? North/South?? or East/West??
    Also....do you HILL you taters? Or start them in a farrow, and add dirt as they grow to make an eventual hill??
    Oh...and WHY??
    LOL

2. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    go to Easy Garden it is the best !!!!!!!!!!!

I don't have a preferance my garden is East west so that is the way the rows face.

Henry

3. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Shouldn't you be over on TEG? [​IMG]

4. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

My rows go N to S on the backside of the shed. They get heavy sun up until about 4 pm. I grow my 'taters in barrells. I throw dirt and straw in on top of them as they grow. Just dump them out when they are done intead of digging

5. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    My rows are always planted perpendicular to the slope to prevent my garden soil from eroding when it rains.

My tators are planted with a shovel: Push shovel deep in soil, move forward 2 inches, drop seed potato in, pull shovel out. No farrow, no hilling. I'm a lazy potato planter, but it works!

6. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    I don't do rows...

My taters will be planted and then dirt added as they grow. Speaking of growing...let's help The Easy Garden grow. Register there. Garden talk, it's great but we need more people there to chat with!

7. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    I do my rows facing north. That way, the wind will not harm the plants too much.

8. beekybuzzard

beekybuzzard Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    SC
    My rows go east to west and the taters are hilled but just a little at a time and adding just a little straw each time to keep the soil from packing too much and letting them grow a little bigger.

9. babychickfarmer

babychickfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

I do my rows west to east. They get all day sun and I put potatoes in peel away things compost bins, cardboard boxes things like that I put them in the bottom as the plants grow you keep adding good soil. Increases yield and easy to get them at the end

10. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    raised bed n-s and don't do taters but if i did i'd do them in old tires.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by