Ok all you incubator enablers / Egg shippers ! Gotta a Question for ya

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by okiechick57, Jan 3, 2008.

1. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] here I am , packing up my Muscovy eggs for shipping..I am a nervous wreck [​IMG], So far I am wrapping them each in 2 flattened out bubble wrap envelopes.........then I will wrap all in paper/packing material....in one box. then put that box inside another bigger box with packing material around it..man, I hope shipping isnt outrageous..[​IMG]...... SO........do you think this is enough? do I need 2 boxes if bubblewrapped twice and packing materials? or is that overkill? I want to save on shipping as much as I can as these are heavy eggs.... ALSO>.....do you tell the post office these are live.or just fragile etc and send them Priority? the man at p.o. told me they would require me to send them Express.....and it would be really costly?
    thanks for any pointers you can give me.....
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    When I got my eggs they where indviduay wrapped with bubble wrap on top and on botom. mark them "fragile" and nothing else. Hope this helps. Thats how mine came in and none where broke

Sorry forgot to add: if marked fragile you can send them priority

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2008
  3. GracefulBantams

GracefulBantams Hatching and Showing

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
  4. okiechick57

Looks like I am doing good then [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Thank you all !

5. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I messed up on the first part. The eggs where individually wrapped in bubble wrap and taped then she cut bubble wrap "the big bubbles. bubble wrap" in squares for the top and bottom. I never had any problems and you saw my hatch rate from that. Now bout your muscovies are they quiet or should I stick with cayuga's?

6. okiechick57

inuyashalover21 Muscovies do not quack at all..they hiss.well the male hisses.......the females make a very soft kinda hiss........so yes.....they are super quiet......... I love these ducks.......my drake is huge....and attacks my dog once in a while.but has settled down quite a bit since he has his girlies [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The man at the P.O. is wrong. They are not live animals so are not required to be sent express mail. Everybody I know sends eggs Priority Mail, for whatever that's worth. They really don't have any guarantees if you really put them on the spot. Express would be very expensive.

8. I'm sure they'll travel fine [​IMG]
    If I were shipping big ol' duck eggs (which I never have done), I'd wrap each of them in a 12" x 12" piece of bubblewrap --- like a burrito (a roll or 30' x 12" is less than 5$). .
    That way each egg is protected all around.
    Then I'd wrap the wrapped eggs in more bubblewrap (big bubble bubblewrap) and finish the packing by filling any gaps with whatever materiel is light and handy.

It is sad and unnecessary to get broken / discombolulated eggs in the mail.

Good luck with the eggs!
    Lisa

9. okiechick57

Quote:Thank Speckledhen..........He did say LIVE..........so I will go with priority......

10. okiechick57

Quote:Thanks Dipsy......the wrap I did use is a bit over the size you reccommended.so I think I will be fine...I will use bigger bubble wrap around the whole bunch........no second box needed I am assuming then? I sure hope they hatch out...this is stressful !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by