Ok, am I now just spoiling the girls?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by shend, May 15, 2011.

1. shend

shend Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2010
    west michigan
    I had so much fun offering treats to the little fuzzy butts, but now they're 12 weeks old, growing big and come running when I enter the run. I feel guilty if I go in without a treat.

Am I just spoiling them now? Is there any adverse effects of continuing to treat them? I give things like some cooked spaghetti noodles or a cook, half sweet potato or some sort of other veggie. (tried fresh asparagus, but they turned their noses, or beaks, up at that!)

BTW, since the murder a few weeks ago of 5 of my girls I have solved the security problem and the rest are safe. Thanks for all the advise that day.

2. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    you can never spoil them enough, I give my girls treats, "good treats" like veggies etc. makes them happy and healthy ! [​IMG] but I would say not so much they eat less chick food, or eat table food and want nothing but that LOL

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  3. areyoumymother

areyoumymother Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Quote:Sounds like my dogs.....I too have a tendancy to 'spoil' our animal children

I think it is one of many 'empty nest syndrome' hazards.

Just fed my girls cilantro trimmingss and they went crazy ...so fun to watch

4. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    Quote:Sounds like my dogs.....I too have a tendancy to 'spoil' our animal children

I think it is one of many 'empty nest syndrome' hazards.

Just fed my girls cilantro trimmingss and they went crazy ...so fun to watch

yep my animals are so spoiled. we hand fed meal worms to the chicks, and a lot of grass hoppers yesterday ( thanks to 2 small boys who love catching them LOL ) they are getting Kale today, cooked carrots and strawberries. we just put them into there now home, and man do they love it, funny thing is, they follow us like ducks all over so if we want to sit else where they come around where we are and just start nibbling on grass there [​IMG]

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    No problem at all, enjoy it!

I do try to keep the "treat" level at 10% or less of their total diet. Mine mostly get veggie and fruit trimmings from the garden. They do love the dandelions I pull up for them, so that's a daily treat.

6. mommyofthreewithchicks

mommyofthreewithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    I try to keep the treats to a minimum but... The kids LOVE to give treats to the girls and so do I so that sometimes doesn't happen.

Spoiled little buggers! [​IMG]

7. flowerhippie

flowerhippie Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2011
    I give 5 way scratch daily to my flock. This is a much needed treat it gives our eggs vitamins and minerals that we ingest and the cost of doing this is worth it because the egg tastes so much better. also this is inexpensive they only need a few hand fulls daily and are happy with that. I stopped giving this to my flock and they stopped the egg production, When I gave it to them again they produced abundantly.

8. mikecoen

mikecoen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2011
    Berthoud, Colorado
    10 EE's are loving their pasturizing by means of the chicken tractor. only 32 square feet on the ground and they thrash it pretty well before being moved even if I move it more than the usual once a day. Their hen house barn over one end is only 12 square feet but they all roost themselves up in there every night. Now that I will have 10 posts, I'll use the chicken tractor photo as my avatar. They love the grass and alfalfa they encounter and I'm sure they will find more bugs once the days are warmer. Just got good rain here in Colorado, so things are now green and growing.

9. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

You mean there's actually such a thing as spoiling your chickens too much??? [​IMG] And LOL!! I am so the same as you - I feel guilty when I go out to them without a bit of something. As was mentioned though, I'd make sure that they were getting most of their nutrition from feed - so give them small quantities of treat rather than a lot.

10. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    No such thing as too much spoiling as long as they are healthy treats! Mine are outside all day and still come running when they see me expecting something.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by