Ok, another Brinsea post!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by EmtheFishLady, Jan 14, 2011.

1. EmtheFishLady

EmtheFishLady We're all mad here

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    I'm planning on getting a Brinsea Octagon 20 Advance, and kinda wanted some opinions on it. I've NEVER hatched eggs. No experience, and I want the highest hatch rate possible with as little interference as I can...So basically, I need an idiot proof incubator. I am really thinking I'll be hatching duck eggs more than anything else, as I plan on working mainly on Silky ducks in the future. Now questions, Do I need everything that this incubator comes with? Is it a good price? Is there something that would be better for hatching ducks? I am sure I'm going to have a thousand and one questions more, but that's all I can think of right now! Thanks in advance!

http://www.brinsea.com/products/octagon20A.html

2. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I would suggest going up to the EX model with the auto-turner. I just did my first hatch in the exact same model with the auto turner. It was great. It recovers temperature and humidity really quickly. I would also suggest getting the spotcheck thermometer. The digital read out on my bator never wandered far from 99.6 but I think the temp was a little cooler down by the eggs since my eggs hatched a day or more late. Brinsea does have a 10% off coupon right now too. The code is FBME10

3. EmtheFishLady

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
  4. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    The second link you posted is the one that I have. It does it all. Like I said though, I would verify the temperature with Brinsea's Spotcheck thermometer. It has a probe you can put through the vent hole to verify the temperature. I think the digital read out on the bator is for the top of the bator, not down where the eggs are. I am going to get one of those thermometers before my next hatch just so I know how much to adjust the temperature by. I know a lot of people use hygrometers to verify humidity but this model tells you what your humidity is and most of the hygrometers I have read about really are just junk IMO. Pretty amazing, put eggs in and 21 days later (give or take) you get these:
    [​IMG]
    It is so cool to watch them hatch!

5. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I have the octo 20 advance without the humidity module; in my experience with it, I only have to add water every 3-4 days, so for me, it just wasn't worth the extra expense of the humidity doo-dad. It's an awesome bator, though - holds temp like you wouldn't believe!

6. EmtheFishLady

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    I just want the best for hatching ducks. I don't really plan on hatching any chicks, but then, until I came here I hadn't planned on hatching anything so we'll see! I'm really excited about it, my hubby is going to buy it for me for V-Day. Last year it was frogs, this year it's an incubator!

7. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Quote:OK he must love you a whole bunch more this year! [​IMG] The incubator is a much better present! [​IMG]

8. EmtheFishLady

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    Quote:OK he must love you a whole bunch more this year! [​IMG] The incubator is a much better present! [​IMG]

I usually jump from one thing to another. Last year around Valentines Day I had to tear down my indoor aviary where I raised finches, so decided I'd try Dart frogs....Started out with some White's Tree Frogs, and love them, so stuck with just those. Unfortunately though, they don't do much. So this year we're finishing our picket fence in the yard so I can put the dogs out in a normal fence and the dog lot if becoming a duck lot! I'm very lucky to have such a great husband. He supports me in anything I do.

9. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Quote:I hear you although I don't jump as often on projects the chicken thing was a big surprise to me as well. If you had told me that I would have fourteen chickens today a year ago I would have laughed at you. I also have a very understanding DH but he does have a sense of humor. This is one of my Christmas presents I just got:
    [​IMG]
    The "L" is for lady. [​IMG]

10. EmtheFishLady

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    Well lets see, I raised finches for about 4 years, but when I got pregnant with my daughter I had severe hyperemesis gravidarum and was in the hospital ALOT. I was also worried about the bird dander in the house with the new little one, so I sold the birds and we tore down the Aviary. Then we went to the frogs, and I still have them, but gave up on any dreams I had of breeding them about a month after we got them. I maintain aquariums, and ran a fish store when I lived in Florida. I've done aquarium maintenance for 9 1/2 years now, so I guess I don't jump around quite as much as I claim to, I just get frustrated easily and move on when I'm not perfect at something.

PS: I LOVE THAT SIGN! My logo is just a fish.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by