OK, another crazy idea....

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mcdaid36, Apr 24, 2008.

1. mcdaid36

mcdaid36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    Putnam County, NY
    Has anyone ever converted a steel shed into a chicken coop? Is this even possible? My husband said it would be easy enough to add windows and vents, but I've never heard of such a thing. Plus the insulation for the winter - how would we install it. It's a lot to think about, and I'm wondering if it's even possible...

2. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Yep, you could do it. You don't really need to insulate it, just getting out of the wind and elements is enough for a chicken. Just make sure to make the roosts, and nesting boxes out of wood though. Good luck!

3. MRNpoultry

MRNpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    I metal shed would work fine. As long as the inside doesn't let the wind or the rain in that would be fine. Unless you live in a real cold climate, they don't need the insulation.

Good luck with your coop!

4. mcdaid36

mcdaid36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    Putnam County, NY
    Thanks. We live in the lower part of NY. Definitely gets below freezing in the winter, but anything in the single digits or below is rare.

5. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Yep, you may need to dub your fowl though to prevent frostbite to the combs and wattles where you live. Also make sure to provide wide roosts to keep their toes healthy too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by