Ok, another goat question... UPDATE!!! She Kidded! PICS Page 2!!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Mom2Munchkins, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Mom2Munchkins

Mom2Munchkins Songster

Mar 2, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Alrighty, we recently adopted a dwarf/pygmy breed. They weren't really sure what she was, and really didn't seem to care. [​IMG] We haven't had her too long, but her belly sure has gotten big, and WIDE. Her belly just seems more lumpy than round, nothing like the pygmy I have that kidded a few weeks ago (my first kidding experience)

Here's a few quick pics. Don't mind that she's tied up, we were moving goats into different pens, and she was only there for about 5 minutes. There just weren't enough hands, and too many doors for them to escape... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009

2. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Songster

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    She looks like she could be pregnant...can you feel anything moving around. IMO it could also be a change in her diet if you are feeding her more or richer food than she had in the past, she could have put on some weight. [​IMG]

3. Chatychick

Chatychick Songster

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Well the first thing is did you worm her when you brought her home? I can see her appetite is good. Sometimes the rumen can get full and feel hard when you pet them. If it was me and if she isnt pregnant I would band those horns since you have small children. Horns and children dont mix well.
    The bumps your feeling are possibly her bones and she dont look like she has alot of body fat on her.She to me looks to be around 4 or so and depending on her care and worming schedule she might be what some call a hard keeper which is keeping body fat on her and muscle. I would worm and 10 days wor again and then again in 10 more. This will break the worm cycle and help her get the food to stick and start getting her healthy looking.

4. jBlaze

jBlaze Songster

Oct 25, 2008
    Oregon
    Horns and Kids don't mix, but banding and de-horning adult goats is torture. Hope she doesn't hurt the kids, or get her head stuck or break one off. I disbud my goaties when they are tiny.

5. Mom2Munchkins

Mom2Munchkins Songster

Mar 2, 2009
    Upstate NY
    She is REALLY sweet, so I would never think of her hurting my kids. I guess anything is possible with animals though... We've had her for a few months now. I wonder if I can find a pic of her thats older... She was wormed when we first got her, but like I say, that was a few months ago. She wasn't bony or anything when we got her, but the reason we did get her is because the people that had her weren't taking care of their horses properly and I guess were getting into quite a bit of trouble. I saw the horses, and it truly was sad, and I think these people were just trying to get rid of their animals before they were taken. [​IMG]

6. helmstead

helmstead Songster

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    She resembles the doe I just sold today, sniff...Paula, quite a bit in body structure. To me...she looks like she is preggers. Who knows tho!

She surely is a pretty doe with an impressive set of graceful horns. I'm sure you'll all enjoy her!

7. Mom2Munchkins

Mom2Munchkins Songster

Mar 2, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Here's one from a few months ago. I think I feel something moving in there, but I am far from an expert, and her udder did start filling up, but that was weeks ago...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009

8. griffin45

griffin45 Songster

Oct 15, 2008
    South Central Virgina
    Looks Nigerian and looks pregnant. Worms typically would cause more rounding of the belly. I would like to see a better shot of the hind quarters from above though. Did the folks you got the goat from have others? I assume they let all run together. Goat fetuses do most of the development in the last 20 to 30 days of the pregnancy. Have her manure tested for worms before worming. Or look into herbal worming methods. Make sure she isn't pregnant before doing anything though as worming could cause her to go into Ketosis.

Chris

9. Mom2Munchkins

Mom2Munchkins Songster

Mar 2, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Yeah she really is a pretty girl, and is incredibly friendly! I don't mind her horns, and I also really never could see her hurting anyone. But she is an animal after all. The people we got her from really didn't want to chat, they wanted her in the van and us all out of there. So I really didn't get much from them except her name "Gerdy"

So you would say she's a Nigerial Dwarf?? She looks alot like my pygmys, besides her horns.

10. helmstead

helmstead Songster

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Yes her color and head shape, etc..point to her having a good dose of Nigi in her.

You want to palpate her right abdomen to feel for fetuses. Sometimes you can also 'bump' her pelvic floor right in front of the udder and feel something hard come back down and hit your hands if they're carrying low.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by