OK, another question....Bird feeders..

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Nielisse, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Nielisse

Nielisse Just Hatched

Feb 13, 2017
    Delaware
    Do bird feeders do well in close proximity to the chickens or do they scare birds?

2. 0wen

0wen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2016
    Southwest Virginia
    The problem with wild bird feeders, is the wild birds....

They're often carriers of sickness and disease. If you want to encourage them onto your property, I'd do it away from your poultry.

2 people like this.
  3. Nielisse

Nielisse Just Hatched

Feb 13, 2017
    Delaware

So glad I asked. Thank you.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    they don't scare birds, they draw them in. Then, before you know it, you're going through a sack of feed in 3 days, cause you've got an everlovin' crapton of little brown birds raiding your chicken feeders. Or, you've got birds bringing in diseases, mites, etc.

I feed wild birds at the way other end of my property.

1 person likes this.
  5. Nielisse

Nielisse Just Hatched

Feb 13, 2017
    Delaware
    Omg no...Lol no bird feeders I think.

6. Cjs123

Cjs123 Out Of The Brooder

I'm new at this I realize, and I can understand where you're all going with this, but if you critter proof the coop wouldn't that include small birds getting through the fencing? Nothing gets through chicken wire.:/

7. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    Um... everything gets through chicken wire. If that's what you're using as predator protection you may want to consider swapping it out for something stronger.

And I think the folks who have issues with wild birds find that the wild birds get in through the same way the chickens get out - through the door.

I do have bird feeders near my coop and run area but haven't had any issues with wild birds sneaking in (rats are another issue). Apparently the wild birds find BOSS far more appealing than layer pellets.

8. Nielisse

Nielisse Just Hatched

Feb 13, 2017
    Delaware
    What is BOSS?

9. blackdog043

blackdog043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2017
    Denver, NC
    Black Oil Sunflower Seed (BOSS)

1 person likes this.
  10. Cjs123

Cjs123 Out Of The Brooder

I misspoke. I don't understand wire types. The kind of wire they use in Woods coops. Very small, little squares. I can't imagine anything getting through that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by