Ok Attempt # 2

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Clay In Iowa, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Clay In Iowa

Clay In Iowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Near Wilton Iowa
    Thanks KellyHM for responding to my first post.

I'm looking for an inexpensive incubator for 20-40 eggs at a time. Kelly suggested Styrofoam Hovabators.

Is that it?

Thanks
    Clay

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    LOL !!!!! I have to say your little guy on the toilet is so funny !!!!!

[​IMG]

3. chiknwhisperer

chiknwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Lowell, IN
    At my local feed store thats how much they are selling those ones for. I think that is a decent price really. I can afford that and would buy it because I'm nice and cheap lol.

4. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Thats what I have and am fine with it. There are other brands out there -LG being one. A lot of ppl seem to complain about that one though.

Where is Wilton, Iowa in relation to Des Moines?

5. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Quote:Because of the word 'inexpensive' it probably is. Your other option in to build your own. you will find plans here on BYC for that. Try the search option for homemade incubators.

6. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I have an LG too and it drives me NUTS! The thermostat is soooo sensitive that I turn it the tiniest bit and it moves 3-4 degrees. The Hovabator is much more user friendly.

7. Clay In Iowa

Clay In Iowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Near Wilton Iowa
    [​IMG] I'm just getting started. I've been reading a ton and asking questions so that little guy seemed some how appropriate.

pbjmaker Wilton is about half way between Iowa City and the Quad Cities. We're actually just north of Durant ( bit further east) but our mailing addy is Wilton.

Thanks Lurky I'll certainly search for plans. I like home built. [​IMG]

8. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I have a top hatch Brower and it does well.

9. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    I think you would enjoy building one for yourself. There are plans on here to build that are quite nice. It is basically a box as nice or as crude as you wish, a 225 watt heater element a fan of some kind and a thermostat. All of this for around 50 bucks depending on what you want to do for the wood. The turner is the hard part. You can fashion some sort of device that is semi manual or you can buy one that fits the hovaboator for about 50 bucks.

A deluxe turner motor and timer can be nearly150 dollars and you still need to build the racks for it.

In any case on made of wood especially if you find a handsome box of some kind has a lot more eye appeal than any of the styrofoam incubators.

I built mine and enjoy knowing I built it. I like looking at it since It was my hand work. I am not woodworker, but can piddle a bit.

The styrofoam incubators work very well there is no doubt, but i have a thing about the stuff. I dont like eating off it, I dont like drinking coffee out of it and every time the lid squeaks I get the willies like fingers on a chalkboard. LOL

Please not being critical of the stryofoam incubators just offering my view.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by