Ok back to raccoons for a minute

citykitty

Songster
Apr 4, 2018
Cleveland, OH
We also feed wild birds in the backyard. We have the feeders that close off when something heavy gets on them, take in portable feeders at night. I got new baffles and greased the poles and the baffles. The food is safe--it was kind of funny watching them try to climb the greased poles. Except the suet on the tree, the red pepper didn't deter raccoons at all. The problem now is that they fight with each other, or mate, or something in the back yard all night! I don't even know what the F they are doing with all the noise they make. How do I deter the little creeps so they make a ruckus somewhere else? I'm not harming or killing them, and I don't think that relocating them will solve the problem long term (also illegal in Ohio). Chickens will be as safe as I can make them with hardware cloth, sturdy coop, reinforced run, etc.

Any ideas on how to keep these little bastards away from the house? The racket they make is crazy.

my guess is electrical fence, we use it for out chickens so far so good
but i also remove raccoons from our land (where we live there open season year round) just killed coon number 3 this year.

Since I know all of you were up at night waiting to hear what happened...

I got these baffles, and so far so good. There's no food, so they don't hang around the yard and fight or eat all the bird food. I'm shocked that this actually worked, I thought those little boogers would find a way around them.

Attachments

• 500x500-hardware-raccoonbaffle.jpg
    500x500-hardware-raccoonbaffle.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 10
Agreed with @EggSighted4Life on this one. While you can put up electric (In this case, I suggest you enclose your feeders, your chicken area, AND your garden) IMO, it would be better to stop feeding the wild birds. The dropped seed will attract all sorts of unwanted critters including coons, mice, rats, squirrels... You have a big coon population, so electric may be absolutely necessary to protect your birds.

I used to feed wild birds in the backyard too, but stopped after having a conversation with the owner of Cackle hatchery, who said wild birds carry avian flu and could wipe out a small flock. He said to keep wild birds as far away from a flock of chickens as possible.

I use a grumpy pot bellied pig to ward off snakes hawks raccoons etc... they are surprisingly terrtorial... if he can catch them he will eat them.

Back
Top Bottom