OK Breed Guru's Do your thing Americana or???

SteveBaz

Songster
8 Years
Aug 6, 2011
Pacific North West
I was told this is a hen and an Americana were they telling me the truth. Look at the tail? Help ID my new little girl??

102768_photo1.jpg

102768_photo.jpg

Quote:
Adorable or what? Beautiful colors. Had been picked on so they had the purple meds on the tail to heal it. I took her because she was so different. Love the tails love the muffs and the brown and black colors going across the body and not from head to toe

She is an adorable EE pullet. She'll be a gorgeous gold color on the head when she's older.

Quote:
Please explain to me what makes her #1 an EE? #2 I was under the impression that hens tail feathers bend down and Cockerels tails are up are you sure this is not a Roo?

I am not familiar with the make up of what an EE really is? No real breading description? Large eggs, good layer, brown/white eggs? Broody type or not? Is there a real breed description or just a plain old MUTT?

Last edited:
Quote:
Please explain to me what makes her #1 an EE? #2 I was under the impression that hens tail feathers bend down and Cockerels tails are up are you sure this is not a Roo?

I am not familiar with the make up of what an EE really is? No real breading description? Large eggs, good layer, brown/white eggs? Broody type or not? Is there a real breed description or just a plain old MUTT?

Ah, that my friend is a bit of a can of worms.

EE is short for Easter Egger, which is not actually an official 'breed' of bird. It's a type of bird that hatcheries like to offer customers as a 'colored' egg layer, but has any number of mixes in it's genetics.

The 'ideal' EE has the following features: Willow to Slate colored legs, a muff (fluffy beard), pea comb, lays blue or green eggs.

Now, keep in mind that since it is not a standardized breed, you can get a bird that has only one or two of the above features, and still validly call it an EE. Unfortunately, that does mean that you can have an EE that lacks the blue/green egg gene, and will just give you brown instead.

The reason that it is a pullet is due to coloring. You cannot get an EE rooster with the color pattern your bird has due to avian genetics. EEs very commonly have erect tails because of some of the breeds that hatcheries like to add to their EE stock for genetic reason that are too long-winded for me to bother you with
tongue.png

Here is an example of my EE hen:
80950_itistance.jpg

Notice how much she likes to 'put up the sails' so to speak. It usually means she's awake, alert, and healthy.

Quote:

Ah, that my friend is a bit of a can of worms.

EE is short for Easter Egger, which is not actually an official 'breed' of bird. It's a type of bird that hatcheries like to offer customers as a 'colored' egg layer, but has any number of mixes in it's genetics.

The 'ideal' EE has the following features: Willow to Slate colored legs, a muff (fluffy beard), pea comb, lays blue or green eggs.

Now, keep in mind that since it is not a standardized breed, you can get a bird that has only one or two of the above features, and still validly call it an EE. Unfortunately, that does mean that you can have an EE that lacks the blue/green egg gene, and will just give you brown instead.

The reason that it is a pullet is due to coloring. You cannot get an EE rooster with the color pattern your bird has due to avian genetics. EEs very commonly have erect tails because of some of the breeds that hatcheries like to add to their EE stock for genetic reason that are too long-winded for me to bother you with
tongue.png

Here is an example of my EE hen:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/80950_itistance.jpg

Notice how much she likes to 'put up the sails' so to speak. It usually means she's awake, alert, and healthy.

Thank you for the info

Pretty EE girl! If she has a pea comb, there's a good chance she'll lay green eggs.

Two of my 3 EE pullets have started laying recently and they're total rockstars -- large, green eggs and laying 6 days out of 7 right from the start. Not cuddly lap chickens but my EE cockerel is docile and they are all smart, great foragers, impressive flying abilities...

Quote:
I went into the coop a number of times and let me say this EE can jump straight up 3' in the air. Freaked me out at first. I have only seen 1 bird do that and a cat was following it. Nice info you guys and thank you. I did find info on the internet under "Easter Egg Chickens" and even found breeders for them. and here is what it said;

Easter Egg Chickens
(Ameraucanas)
"Miscellaneous Class"

Easter Egg (Ameraucanas) Chicken Rooster

Easter Egg Chickens (Ameraucanas) Rooster

Easter Egg (Ameraucana)Chicken Hen

Easter Egg Chickens (Ameraucanas) hen
Day old Easter Egg (Ameraucana) chicks

Day old Easter Egg Chickens (Ameraucanas) chicks
Easter Egg (Ameraucana) Chicken Rooster

Easter Egg Chicken (Ameraucana) Rooster
Easter Egg (Ameraucana) Chicken Hen

Easter Egg Chicken (Ameraucana) Hen
Easter Egg (Ameraucana) Chicks

Easter Egg Chicken (Ameraucana)Chicks
Tray of Easter Egg (Ameraucana)Chicks

Tray of Easter Egg Chicken (Ameraucana) Chicks
Thank you Cackle for our "Easter Egg chickens" chicks purchased from you in 2009. Christina, Trenton, Illinois. Thank you Cackle for our "Easter Egg chickens" chicks purchased from you in 2009. Christina, Trenton, Illinois.
Thank you Cackle for our "Easter Egg chickens" chicks purchased from you in 2009. Christina, Trenton, Illinois.

Easter Egg (Ameraucanas) Standard Chicken Breed Information and Chicken Facts

Easter Egg (Ameraucanas) Standard Chicken Breed Information

The "Easter Egg Chicken" originally came from Chile in South America, discovered by the Araucana Indians. The true Araucana
chicken is rumpless (tailless) and has a small curling tuft of feathers next to each ear. The Easter Egg Chicken (Ameraucanas) are different because they have a full beard under the beak and have a tail. Cackle hatchery offers for sale the Ameraucana or better described as the "Easter Egg Chicken:. Cackle hatchery's breeding program objectives for the "Easter Egg Chickens" are: to produce chickens with a wide variety of colors, patterns, combinations of colors, with a full beard under the beak and high egg production of colorful eggs. The color of their egg shells vary from pale blue to dark blue, to various shades of green and a few light brownish/pink eggs. Their meat is delicious and it has a taste similar to quail. We do not offer a specific color variety of this breed; however, we do breed for a wide variety of colors.

Chicken Facts:

Weights - Hen -------5 1/2 lbs Rooster----6 1/2 lb
Pullet-------4 1/2 lbs Cockerel---5 1/2 lbs
Purpose - Egg Production
Egg Color - Colored: Green or Blue
Egg Production - Prolific, 250-300 eggs per year
Country of Origin -United States
APA: Yes, Recognized by American Standard of Perfection

and the company that sells them is www.cacklehatchery.com and if you want to write them: [email protected]

Back
Top Bottom