OK BYCers...I need your help!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by csummer8882, May 19, 2011.

1. csummer8882

csummer8882 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Rockingham County, NH
    I have been reading....and reading......and reading! LOL I saw that no tail feathers could indicate a roo.....hope not! We were told all girls! I also wanted to see what kind of chick this really is. It was sold to us as a Golden Comet....looks NOTHING like my other 2. I also have 3 NH reds....doesn't look like them either. She/he started off sort of light but now feathers are growing in very dark. Attached is some pics, hope that helps. We got them on April 21, as babies from a feed store. [​IMG] Here she/he is.......
    [​IMG] and another one......
    [​IMG] and here are all 6 of them. Hope you guys and gals can help a newbie out! [​IMG] Thank you!

2. LadyFunnyFarm

LadyFunnyFarm Out Of The Brooder

Looks quite a bit like my RIR girls. Mine are bigger now, but that's what they look like to me...

3. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Gold comets are actually a hybrid bird they are a cross between a Rhode Island Red and a Deleware. They can have many variations between buff color to totally red like RIR's I have 14 and they look very similar to your girls

[​IMG]

This is a picture of one of mine she is getting pretty dark I have some that are really dark and others that are buff colored and others that are almost white. I think it's cool that they vary so much.

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  4. blefky

blefky life in the yard

Mar 18, 2010
    stamford, ct
    The two lighter birds look like Golden Comets, the others may be hatchery Rirs, no one in the group screams roo. Good luck with them!

5. LilyD

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    I have Comets that are that dark too I think she's gorgeous

6. LilyD

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Here is a picture of an adult gold comet hen for comparison

[​IMG]

7. csummer8882

csummer8882 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Rockingham County, NH
    Thank you everyone! I feel better! So no tail feathers is not an indicator of a roo then? Just a chick with no tail? Is that possible? LOL

8. LilyD

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    I think it has something to do with the chickens growth only I have some pullets that don't have tails started yet and others with very long tails. The same with the 8 boys I have. I think to tell if it's a boy you have to wait if it crows. Comets are good because they are sexable at birth and you can tell girls from boys because they are different colors. Good luck with them.

9. jaimepowell

jaimepowell Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    Wellsville
    I agree....looks like my little RIR when they were babies!

10. It is an RIR [​IMG]. And I think it is a hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by