Ok can I or can I not raise Turkeys with chickens??

There's a disease that can be transmitted from chickens to turkeys and can be fatal in turkeys, which is why a lot of people don't do it. However, my chickens and turkeys all live together fine and I know plenty of other people who raise them together too.

Chicks are often great help to teach turkeys to eat and drink. I keep mine together.
57076_organ_playing_turkey_chasing_042.jpg

I raise them together for the first 2 weeks or so then I seperate them. The chicks are more active when just hatched and the turkeys tend to follow them to the feed and water. After 2 weeks the only reason I seperate them is the turkeys need a higher protien feed than chicks since they grow so fast. After 3 or 4 months the turkeys don't need as high a protien so we put them back together and they are together from there on out.

Steve

When I first started raising heritage turkeys the ALBC recomended feeding 28-30% protein to turkeys everyday of there life. So I did, and have never changed. I do not have pasture do to living in the desert. My chickens eat the same food as the turkeys. I have had alot of proulty, and never a problem feeding them this way. I know all the reasons people say they need to feed them different but I have not seen it even long term. It is more expensive to feed high protein to everyone.

Last edited:
The fear of them together is black head, however, it is not common in the PNW according to a poultry sci prof at Oregon State University, and from what I've seen, it is not as previlant as it one may have been. That said, I've heard the biggest concern between chicken to turkey transmission of blackhead is on grounds that were previously used to raise chickens in high density for market, which isn't as common now that birds for market are housed inside.

I only have one hen turkey (blue slate, turned one year old April 16, 2010. She came to live here when she was about 4 mos. old (long story) and she's been with chickens from the day she was hatched. When she came here (I know the lady who had her, and knew that despite a rough start, the turkey was then in fine condition and not sick at all) she went right in with the chickens. She sleeps on the floor with the silkies, although she did sleep on the roosts several times too. I feed everyone Purina Flock raiser and feed them scrambled eggs every couple of weeks or so. She seems to be doing fine.

As Steve said we also hatch and brood ours together for a short time till the wild eastern poults learn to drink and eat. but we then brood and keep and raise our adults in separate areas here on the farm because of feed requirements for our gamebirds diet plans and other factors/reasons that we follow, (disease risks included).

if you must raise them together as adults, surely follow a strict wormer plan as one should never take the chance or risk, because once you get something in most cases its already to late(esp if blackhead in prevalent in your area)... make sure to use a complete get all wormer at least 3 times a year, just be careful of eating eggs as you should wait a minimum of 14 days after using a complete worm all.. also lime your runs often when you have a chance..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom