Ok can this really be happening??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by luvchicks8, May 16, 2011.

1. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    I have 2 muscovies that are sitting on eggs, but there all chicken eggs. I get that part but I am NOT getting any eggs at from my 9 hens??? I think that they are laying in there normal nesting boxes which is axacly were my ducks are sitting on eggs. Could my ducks be collecting more and more eggs??? I don't want to move them or they might stop sitting?? [​IMG]

2. jemagsy

jemagsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Georgia
    Yes it's entirely possible. I've got 6 broody hens right now and they do steal eggs. Best to mark the eggs with an "x" or something so you know if any go missing or get added to. As a side note, this is how we figured out we had a hen eating eggs as well.

3. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

silly question... how do they steal eggs?? are the nesting boxes close to each other that they roll them out of one nest into their own nest ?? hmmmmm
    havent experienced this yet ??!! lol

4. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Quote:Your right I have an egg eater [​IMG] [​IMG] I found an egg shell on the floor of the coop tonight. I had to buy eggs!!! Yes buy them:mad:

5. Horsefly

Horsefly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    Louisiana
    Put some ceramic eggs or golf balls in the nest boxes. The chickens will peck those and find they can't eat them and will help teach them to not eat their eggs. It worked good for a friend of mine who had that problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by