Ok, candleing experts..Question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KYBOY, Jan 26, 2009.

1. KYBOY

KYBOY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Eastern,Kentucky
    I have some marans eggs in the incubator..they are very hard to candle..Im afraid I may already know the answer but here goes..In all but two of the eggs I can make out a "doughnut" like ring that circles the whole egg and its pretty thick..Im afraid those eggs were scrambled in transit..the other two I can just make out a small dark mass floating near the top..Thats all I can tell..Tell me what you think...Thanks

2. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Hi there!
    Go here:
    http://lancaster.unl.edu/4h/Embryology/embryophotos.shtml

I think if you candle and see a clear area at the top the circles the top of the egg- you have an air cell (a good thing). If you can make out veining right around that area, that is good too.

What day are you on?

3. KYBOY

Mar 8, 2008
    Eastern,Kentucky
    I forgot to add, day 7..Im usally pretty good with candeling but to be honest this is the first time Ive ever saw those big fat rings in eggs befor.[​IMG] Im sure it aint good [​IMG]

4. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:Ah ha... yuh day 7 shouldn't have big globs probably. Now, were it me, I would wait to see if the air cell gets bigger. Someone here gave me a tip of penciling where the air cell is now and see if it chances as the baby grows... I haven't tried that yet.
    I have trouble candling dark eggs. Pheasants were the worst cuz the shell is so thick
    Don't toss 'em yet
    christina

5. KYBOY

Mar 8, 2008
    Eastern,Kentucky
    Im gonna keep them in there for another week anyway..Im afraid that big thick ring is whats left of the yolk after shipment [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by