Ok chicken doctors read this and tell me what you may think

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mhoward92, Feb 28, 2008.

1. mhoward92

mhoward92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2007
    so i have a smaller chick and i was checking her today for a pasty butt. and i noticed that she had a black spot on her back end around her butt. i tried to pull it off thinking it was poop but it wouldent come off. she hollars like no other when i mess with it. im not shure what to do. please reply and let me know if you have any advice or suggestions

Thanks,Mitch

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    It's probably her naval - like the stump of the umbilical cord where she was attached to the yolk. Sometimes these are a little bit bloody and a scab forms there.

Just leave it alone and keep 1/2 an eye that none of the other chicks peck on it and she'll be fine.

3. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    One of the others could have pecked her butt. They seem to love to peck at one another's butts - like "Hey there's something on your butt - there, I ate it." [​IMG]

4. chickhamm

chickhamm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    ewwwwwwwwwwww

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I'd say it's the cord from the yolk sac too...leave it alone so it can dry up....watch for pecking......

6. CoopDelisle

CoopDelisle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Gulf Coast
    I guess you have to put yourself in a chicks uh, feet? Imagine what another chick's bum would look like to you if you were that small....I had to clean one tonight, and after, it stood there and its little bum reminded me of my human babies' mouths after they tried baby food for the first time, mmum, mumm. A couple of the other chicks were checking it out, too.[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  7. mhoward92

mhoward92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2007
    Yea now that you all say that about the naval im thinking thats probabally it. ill watch for pecking. im thinking they were around 3-4 days old when i got them because they are just now going through the pasting up process. so your all probabally right. It just had me worried because i lost one of my little ones and this is the other little one of the bunch and ive been taking her out of the brooder at times so she can get her helping of food. she gets trampled in there at times by the bigger BO's but she is the perkiest and loudest one of the bunch so thats a good thing [​IMG]

Thanks for the help,
    Mitch

8. horsechick

horsechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2007
    Eaton, Ohio
    Quote:Hi,
    How old would you think they are if they still have this?
    Thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by