OK Chime in opinions requested

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by I have WHAT in my yard?, Nov 11, 2008.

1. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    I teach college. [​IMG]

It just so happened that the nearest big city won the world series the night BEFORE the mid term.

Midterm times are set well in advance and rescheduling them is a huge hassle. So no I did not reschedule.

Frankly, I simply didn't think of it - not a fan. [​IMG]

Many students did not do well. Several students are requesting an extra credit opportunity. They admitted they were hung over or even :eek: still drunk :eek: when they took the exam.

Extra credit means extra work..... should I or shouldn't I?? [​IMG]

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Part of being an adult is learning how to prioritize and make good decisions... tough beans I say

3. tomcio

tomcio Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2008
    Having gone through university. I say forget it! Let them learn from their mistakes.

Part of higher education is learning personal responsibility and prioritization. You will not instill any lesson in them if you let them off the hook because (shake magic 8 ball) ... the team town over won.

Should you have done the same if the mid-term was on the 5th and some of your pupils were up all night watching/celebrating/mourning the election results?

I personally think it was important lesson for them to learn. Count the grades and let them know they should think ahead next time.

Tom

4. sara

sara Title Needed Here

I agree with the others. However I must admit I stayed up way to late watching the game and coverage after the game. I didn't have anywhere to go though. Being hung over is never an excuse, they didn't have to get drunk to enjoy the game [​IMG]

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I agree that it was a good "welcome to the adult world" lesson for them!! They knew the mid-term was that day, it wasn't as if they showed up for class and you said "surprise, big test today".

I would bet quite a bit that many of them aren't even fans.....it was just a good excuse to party.

I think you're doing them a bigger service in the long run not letting them have an option of extra credit. The odds of future bosses giving them extra credit to make up for a woops isn't very likely!!

Plus is it fair to those students who didn't come in hung over?

6. big greg barker

big greg barker Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    central maine
    Too bad, so sad.. They KNEW they had mid terms, they KNEW they had to do well. Then they went out, got hammered, and the rest is history.
    How many in your classes aren't fans like you, and acted responsibly, and gave it their best effort? Is it fair to them to give the rest of the irresponible people a break?
    I have people that work for me, and they were at work. If they hadn't been, they would have had to suffer the consequences. They knew it. They made the choice. As did your students. Don't go all soft and be an enabler. Do the right thing.
    I live in New England and when the red sox won their first W.S. in 86 years, I was still at work. It is up to you to teach them that life is full of choices, and bad choices bring consequences.
    So go forth Grasshopper,be strong.... no extra credit.

7. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    As a fellow instructor, both elementary and university level, I say "HECK NO!!!" It's not you're fault they stayed up late and got drunk when they knew very well they had a mid-term the next day. Unless of course you posted your test as "Possibly rescheduled for drunken foolishness due to baseball game"?

Welcome to adulthood.

8. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    I am going to print these out and tell them the consensus is welcome to adulthood!!! [​IMG]

I am NOT going to tell them it is an adulthood dominated by CHICKENS!!! [​IMG]

Writer your new avatar keeps stopping me I think it is mine!! Your roo looks like my roo with the same - hey whatcha doin' expression!! [​IMG]

9. On the job is they came in from a party the night before and could not do the job they would probably be fired, hey its WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD, YOU KNEW THE TEST WAS COMING. so I think NO DO OVERS [​IMG] marrie

10. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I agree. Welcome to reality.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by