Ok, clarification needed on breed and gender of these 3 chicks...Ameraucana or Easter Egger?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mis gallinitas, Apr 20, 2017.

1. mis gallinitas

mis gallinitas Just Hatched

Apr 19, 2017
    Boulder, CO
    Hello, I am a first time Chicken Momma... these chicks are 7 weeks old...i got them from my local feed store (they get their day old chicks from postal delivery hatchery) I was told all three of these are Ameraucana....but I don't know...the colored ones look Easter Egger to me, and the white one has me stumped! And, of course, I was told all females, but...???

CHICK #1(Marlo)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

CHICK #2: (Minerva)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CHICK #3: (Petunia)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chick #3 (Petunia) on top roost; Chick #2 (Minerva) below.
    [​IMG]

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Chick #1 is not an EE or Ameraucana. Chicks 2 and 3 are EEs. All are pullets. :)

I'm not that savvy on most large fowl. I looked at this chart real quick http://www.backyardpoultry.com/wiki/index.php/Chicken_Breeds_Chart and I wonder if she is some sort of Rock. I don't think she is a Leghorn because I believe even the females grow big combs early on. I'm stumped too lol

3. mis gallinitas

Apr 19, 2017
    Boulder, CO
    Hi, SunHwaKwon!
    happy to hear pullets [​IMG]
    sounds like most chicks that are labeled "Ameraucana" from mail order hatcheries are EEs...totally fine by me.
    thanks for the breeds chart tip...good resource.
    i guess my white one will be my Mystery Lady....i will be curious to see how she goes developing and what color eggs she lays....if they are blue/green, then she may be an Araucana?
    hmmmmm
    thanks for the reply,
    have a great day!!!

4. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    No, Araucana's don't have yellow legs and would not be sold at a feed store. You'd pay about $15 for a day old, from a breeder. A couple hatcheries do have Ameraucanas (Cackle and MyPetChicken) but none have Araucanas, as far as I know.

5. Kristi26

Kristi26 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2016
    Central PA
    I don't know about the breed, but they all look like pullets to me.

6. mis gallinitas

Apr 19, 2017
    Boulder, CO
    ah, good to know...
    i think i need to not worry about the breed, just let nature take its course and enjoy the show as the White One grows up..[​IMG]
    thanks for the reply!

7. mis gallinitas

Apr 19, 2017
    Boulder, CO
    yes! and yay![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by