OK, Coffee grinds, really?? I read it in Backyard Poultry

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jerseygirl1, Dec 2, 2009.

1. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I read this in Backyard Poultry, does anyone else feed their chickens coffee grinds? Is it healthy to do so?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I would not do that. There is no nutrition in coffee and caffeine isn't what you want your chickens to have, either. No idea why anyone would think it's a good idea. They're not garbage disposals.

3. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I have never done that... coffee ground are high in acidity... I use them to add to my blueberry beds, and I add them to my azealas and holly bushes for an acid boost. I also turn it into my compost. Its great for your garden, but not so much your chickens.

My question to you is, what did they suggest this would even be good for, for your birds? There are better options for immune systems, deworming and such things that would be gentler on their systems.

4. ice329

ice329 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2009
    Here is a idea for your coffee grinds. I have been doing it for 3 years for fishing but... Get yourself a bin and get some red wigglers or European night crawlers and start a worm bin. Its easy and there is plent of info online on how to do it. Add all the coffee grinds you want to it, the worms devour them then... you got got lots of worm snacks for your birds. I am new to chickens but mine eat then right up when I give them some..

5. jerseygirl1

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    That's what I thought
    It doesnt' really mention anything other than a passing phrase, which I cannot quote because I believe of copyrights.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    It doesnt' really mention anything other than a passing phrase, which I cannot quote because I believe of copyrights

You can quote an article. It's called fair use.​

7. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    I was going to post the thing Wifezilla did - fair use allows you to quote a portion of an article - just provide proper citation (author, publication and date, etc.)

8. jerseygirl1

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Pge 51

'Barnvelders are a group of chickens that need dedicated people to help bring them up to the standard. They are very showy, calm, quiet and lay large brown eggs. THey are also good at recycling your grass clippings and coffee grounds.'

9. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I put used coffee grounds into my compost, that's pretty standard. But I'd never give them directly to our chickens; I'd worry to much about the residual caffeine left in the grounds going directly into the birds.

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Good idea putting them on my blueberries, thanks!

But no, I'd never give them to my chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by