Ok coop

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Lkcoop66, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Lkcoop66

Lkcoop66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2013
    Hi all,I am I Lodi,Calif. and have 7 Bard Rocks who are great layers. But, how do you keep them from picking each other's feathers out? I have built a separate caged area so I. Will see how that works at night. Thanks. Coop. :(:rolleyes

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Feather picking can be a sign that they are crowded. Giving them more room can be a big help. This is by far my first choice. Extra room can solve or prevent many problems.

It’s possible they are not getting enough protein. I don’t know how you are feeding them, but you might try upping their protein intake. Try to avoid things that are high in salt content, they don’t do well with a lot of salt, but maybe add some meat or fish as a treat. Maybe some cat food.

Check them for mites and lice. You should do this regularly anyway.

By feather picking I’m talking about them picking feathers off of each other. It’s perfectly normal for them to eat loose feathers flying around. Some people have been concerned that them eating loose feathers is a problem. It’s not. From your post I think you got this right but I'll just mention it more for others reading your thread.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Chickens pick on each other when they feel cramped. So you probably need to add more room either to the coop or their run. If you are unable to expand the coop, then get them out to free range for a part of the day so they can work off their energy. You can also hang veggies, cabbage or put out seed blocks...something they have to work at to eat, instead of trying to eat each other. :)

Also, chickens will pluck each others feathers if they are not getting enough protein. So make sure they are eating enough of their layer feed and you might even feed them a bit of meat a few times a week to help to boost the protein levels.

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

4. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC from Modesto! I agree with the above advice. Also, you can try separating the bully from the flock and re-introducing her to change the pecking order. Good luck to you :)

5. JDchicks

JDchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Southeast Alabama
    Welcome to BYC!

Great advice list above. I tried the hanging treats, worked great for me.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

8. chickie farmer

chickie farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2013
    I have a hen that picks feathers off my barred rooster while setting on the roost with no others around them. He doesn't seem to care. His neck feathers stick straight out from his neck. I cut up a couple hotdogs into small pieces once in a while and that seems to stop her for while. I feed them layer feed. 16% protein. I have 7 hens and one roo. The other hens don't seem to pick feathers. At least that I've ever seen.

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by