Ok. Debate time.

Brahmb

Songster
Oct 13, 2018
Adirondacks, NY
Alright. I’m down one duck, in all likelihood. All three ducks took off last Thursday in the evening, right before dark. Two are really good flyers and were soaring around the neighborhood way up high. The third, Louie, barely got over the neighbor’s house. I figured they’d all be back before dark, since it was going to go below 0. None of them returned. Not a big deal - they’d done this just last week for two nights.
Huey and Dewey came back the next day (Friday). Louie did not, and that caused me to worry, as Louie was always the first back. Another night below zero (Fahrenheit, btw) and I figure Louie’s a goner. Huey and Dewey both keep leaving and returning, but no Louie. Now it’s Tuesday and still no Louie.
The debate: should I have curtailed their freedom by clipping their wings? Should I do this to the remaining two ducks? I know Louie is most likely a goner because she was alone. The other two stick together. They are mallards. Should I continue to let them fly free?

They say the best fence is a green field when talking about cattle and sheep
The chickens and Muscovy ducks stay here because they get fed and possible because they get housed.
I've stayed places because I got work and that meant I got fed and housed.
Why do you think your ducks want to leave?

They say the best fence is a green field when talking about cattle and sheep
The chickens and Muscovy ducks stay here because they get fed and possible because they get housed.
I've stayed places because I got work and that meant I got fed and housed.
Why do you think your ducks want to leave?
It's been my experience that Mallards are very different than Muscovies when it comes to flying. Occasionally I will clip the wings of Muscovies, but I always clip the wings of my Mallards if I want them to stay.

It’s not really about what I want at this point. I wanted egg-laying ducks that couldn’t fly. TSC messed that up for me. I believe they should be free to fly because we have the threat of predators. I hope they return safely after taking off, but if they’re looking for greener pastures, they’re going to have to fly quite a ways. We live in the heart of the Adirondack mountains. I will always provide food, water and shelter for them if they return. I intend to get actual Rouens (which is what I was told these were). My heart broke when I found they were mallards, because I don’t believe mallards should be kept in one place. That’s the debate I’m looking for.

Back
Top Bottom