OK Dispute with installer??

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by I have WHAT in my yard?, Dec 29, 2010.

1. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    We signed with a company to install insulation. DH and the sales guy worked out what they thought was best for our odd design.

Installers show up today and say they can't do what sales guy said and that we aren't prepared for the install the way we should be. I say "OK Leave then." DH is not home to go over it, and I am not clear about what they're talking about. They say no they want to get the job done. Installer and DH talk over the phone and agree on the job essentially. When the job is done the guy says OK pay me. I say no. I did not know full final payment was due today, and this is not the job we signed on for so I want DH to approve it first. Guy gets mad and says he'll be fired etc. I say Tough.

DH calls sales office and complains about the job after I send him pictures. It is not what he asked for and he thinks it isn't what we paid for. He thinks we got less than we were quoted for. Now there is going to be a full meeting here sales, installer, production boss and DH. [​IMG]

I swear every time we have workmen here when DH is not something goes wrong. Do they really try to pull stuff because he's not here or is it just coincidence? Did they pull stuff or is this semi - normal miscommunication??

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    A lot of repairmen/contractors think women haven't got a clue, and think they can get away with anything, including inept, low quality work for top-dollar price. You can prevent this by being well-informed about what is needed if you are the one who will be present when the work is done, approved and paid for. If it is truly something you do not understand, then dh needs to be there to interact, approve and pay.

Sometimes by searching out a very lowcost contractor you open yourself to more of this than if you go by one who provides more mid-level pricing. But, it can happen at any level. Your best bet is to get a large number of references & check them out. You should also check your stat's register of contractors to verify their license and any registered complaints.

3. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    It sounds to me like there was a disconnect between the sales staff and the installers; apparently the salesperson thought something could be done differently than the installers thought. Did the salesperson look at the installation before coming up with a quote?

They should not have insisted on doing the job today when they realized they could not do it as quoted, nor should they have insisted on being paid for it immediately.

I think a meeting on site between your DH and the persons you stated is an excellent idea.

4. Randy

Randy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    AR
    Sounds like they are trying to pull something to me.

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Salesmen will often promise the sun, moon and stars while paying little attention to how things need to be done.

That being said, workmen often want to do things one way and if something isn't "standard" in their mind they get all bent out of shape.

I would have MADE THEM LEAVE just to avoid what you had happen.

6. Royd

Royd Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Middleburg, Fl.
    Sounds to me like the installers are independent contractors, maybe drawing some of that gubmint stimlus money, and are looking to put a few extra bucks in thier pockets......Honestly, I have never figured out that mentallity....The difference between a stud wall 2' OC and 16" OC could be as little as a few dollars, to maybe a couple hundred, depending on the size of the building, and the difference in quality is significant, Yet, they will try to short you, if you don't specify.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  7. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I hope it gets worked out. I am usually on my own when dh buys or hires someone,BUT sadly I have found if they screw they screw regardless of who is home....if you don't know what is up.

It was wrong for the installers to push work when the job details were different than what dh wanted. I would stand ground and have them do something of what they agreed too(what your dh still wants) in order to get payment. They REALLY need to work with you,because your experience with them will not be limited to your neighbors-everyone local will know once you write reviews.

From what I watch on Clark howard show they can put a lien on your house to get the money,but they will have to file a suit within a year or the lien is void.

Just stick with what your dh agreed on.They have no written proof that what they actually did is what dh wanted.The only way they can get paid is to do something of what you want. My brother has done construction,and sadly it is quite easy for people to just not pay when a job is done-good work or not.

8. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    We have watch the gal next door go through this over and over again. I swear it is worse when you are a woman alone, when the contractor wants to pull a fast one. I have only had one guy that scared me enough, for me take take the kids and leave the house. That was enough for me. DH finally came home and got rid of him for us. I would rather do ourselves.

9. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Guy came back after DH was home and they worked it out......

I hadn't paid attention because he was supposed to be home.....

The problem with caveat emptor is that everyone has to be an expert on everything. It is simply not feasible. Now I have to know cell phone service, cable services, and now electricity generation. C'mon already. We cannot all be an expert on everything. There has to be some protection for the consumer.

10. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Glad that issue got worked out. When dealing with contractors sometimes you have to open a can of whoop ass!! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by