1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ok, Do I Border These Blocks or Set Edge to Edge?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by speckledhen, Sep 15, 2010.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

These three 16" log cabin blocks will be a table runner. I don't want to set them on point because that will make it too long (and require too much quilting). Was thinking maybe I should use a narrow black tone on tone border around the blocks, but I'm not sure now. So, do you think I should set them edge to edge or sash them?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. goldenluver

goldenluver Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Springfield, Oregon
    I like them edge to edge, sashing is needed when you need a little seperation of fabrics or blocks that will run to gether when you don't want them to.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I'd vote for the black.

4. speckledhen

Thanks. What about the outer border? What color would work with these? I seem to always default to black, but I'm not sure what other color would work with the colors here other than black. Gosh, I hate my camera! That outer border is not blue. It's a deep bluish purple. [​IMG]

5. goldenluver

goldenluver Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Springfield, Oregon
    I would go deep green with maroon and a rich orange/gold binding around the edge

6. speckledhen

Thanks, I'm going to ponder it awhile. I'd want to stop short of a hunter green, more like a deep olive. I have a beautiful, classy black with ghosty ginko leave print and I may use that. I want to use what I have already in my stash for this one.

And, I'm working on getting a new camera so my colors are more true to life.

7. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    I would add one more burgandy strip to the left edge, then use one of the prints to border all the blocks. I really like that large green and burgandy print.

8. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    They are perfect as they are! I love log cabin quilts!

9. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Black works for everything, in my thinking. I use lots of blacks. It makes everything else stand out. I vote black.

10. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Quote:Yeah, but Black tends to dull faster than other colors. IMHO.

Either Maroon or dk green

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by