Ok, Do I go with beauty or braun???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by fishermans wife, Sep 29, 2010.

1. fishermans wife

fishermans wife Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    Ventura County
    OK, out of 4 eggs this spring, we hatched 3 roos..... I only have 7 hens - so need to get rid of two of them. One is a no brainer - but the other two ? My DH wants the large EE to stay - and that roo is the dominant one, the most friendly, gentle and will eat out of our hands. But, I love the frizzled EE as he is just so cool looking! He is not aggressive - just not as friendly or gentle as the other one - keeps his distance, and hasn't learned to romance the girls yet - pretty much just chases them around hoping they will comply. The roos get along so far - they are 20 weeks old, but I know it is time.... which would you choose??? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Braun

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Beauty
    (We call him "Farrah" [​IMG] )

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

They're both beautiful, I couldn't decide. [​IMG]

3. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    I don't know if I could decide, either. They are both gorgeous, and I guess it would come down to personalities, though I am having a hard time saying no to the gorgeous frizzle. Are you in a position where you could keep both? I think they each should have some dedicated hens.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Oh, I couldn't decide, either. Both are gorgeous roosters. but... welll..... it's not easy to find the frizzle gene.... so....
    [​IMG]

5. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Get somemore girls and keep them both--Chicken Math! [​IMG]

6. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    I can't decide, either! Both such neat birds! I say keep them both, if they were raised together they might continue getting along just fine. (I have six roosters in one of my coops that were raised together and they're best buddies! Not a single fight.) Or even split up your hens among the two if it does become a problem.

I know, we're all enablers here. [​IMG] But, hey, those are some nice roosters!

7. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    is it possible to wait a few more weeks and see if any behaviors crop up that could help with deciding? the frizzle is cool looking, but I love a freindly bird....

8. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:You said it yourself.

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Put that frizzle roo on CL. Get $15 out of him.

He'll go fast, but I would keep the large EE... and I'd also get him some more hens. :0)

10. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    The frizzle is cute, but I like the EE better. He looks like one of my roos---except that mine doesn't have a tail. Mine is also very gentle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by