Ok - Do I have the general idea of duck raising down?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mom2jedi, May 20, 2011.

1. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    All right, if we decide to add ducks to our mini-farm I think I have done enough reading to have a good idea of what is required for ducks and how they are different than chickens. Am I missing anything?

Housing - anything from a large doghouse to a coop as long as it's secure at night (will be separate from the chicken coop)
    Food - Flock Raiser or layena once they are laying (if I understand it correctly, they can eat chicken food right?) and fresh veggies (ducks are herbivores right not omnivores like chickens?)
    Water - must be available near their food at all times
    Pond/Pool - not anything huge necessarily but they will like to have water big enough to play in separate from their drinking water
    Run - pea gravel seems like the best substrate for keeping things dry and out of the pool/pond

So does it seem like I have the basics down? Do they need things like oyster shell and grit or will they be fine without?

One last thing, I was only planning on having a pair but it seems the minimum from a hatchery is 4. Makes sense in case something happens to one but what is the better ratio? If I order 1 male and 3 females and something happens to the male then I won't have the possibility of having more later without ordering again. If I order 2 and 2 and something happens to one of the females then I'm stuck with 2 males and only 1 female, which could be problematic. Suggestions?

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    For best dynamics, order 1 male and 3 females.

Or, spend some time on Craigslist and find a pair of ducks locally.

If you lose your male, you can find one locally and not have to order a complete order from a hatchery. Or, unless you intend to hatch eggs, you don't need a male.

3. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

Ducks will eat minnows and such too. Insects as well. [​IMG]

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Ducks are omnivorous, but they wont pick a turkey carcass clean like a chicken. Mine don't like meat unless it is fish or a bug.

I would not feed a layer feed if you are planning on keeping drakes. If it is all girls, no problem. If you do have a coed flock, just get regular feed and leave a bowl of oyster shells free choice.

As for the floor, pea gravel will work, but I would still give them some area covered in straw.

5. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Quote:Ok, so Flock Raiser would be better for the ducks then if I have a drake?

Do you mean a straw area in the run or just in their "house"?

And duh, forgot they eat fish. They just lean more towards the less meat more veggie side than chickens, right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by