1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

OK Eggsperts...this one's for you...

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Spydrworks, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Spydrworks

Spydrworks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2007
    So. California
    So what is the secret to peeling the shell off of hard boiled eggs without shredding it to the yolk??? LOL...

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Steam the eggs for tem minutes rather than boiling them.

3. SkeeredChicken

SkeeredChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    What I usually do is initially, cool em off slightly after they get done by running cool owater over them. Then I immediatly tap them and roll them around to crush the shell evenly. After that, the shell rolls off like paper. I think that was something my grandparents taught me.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2007
  4. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    On really fresh eggs. I tap them lightly to make a small crack and then cook the. Don't boil them just cook on Med heat for about 15 min. They peel very easily. I have not tired rolling them as mentioned above, but I will have to try it.

5. demonique

demonique Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2007
    Montana
    I just use eggs that are least a week old. Not much trouble then!

6. akcskye

akcskye Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Vinegar in the boiling water, plus peeling under cold running water normally does the trick for me.

7. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    I do the 'tap and roll' thing, too. I'm going to try the vinegar and the steaming suggestion, tho.

8. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    I have better luck peeling them while they are still hot. I let the water come to a boil (uncovered), boil for 2 minutes. Shut heat off and let pot sit covered for 30 minutes. Drain the hot water. Tap, roll and peel.

9. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    I always poke a pin hole in the big end of the egg first, and I make sure I put plenty of salt in the water. It seems to separate the membrane from the shell. It works for me, but I use store eggs, and they are usually really old.[​IMG]

10. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    We normally have some older eggs that are a week or two old that work just like store bought eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by