1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ok, excited, now scared

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by temperance, May 9, 2009.

1. temperance

temperance Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2009
    Ive been reading all the posts about humidity, and now i dont know what to do. my chicks and ducks are on day 18. i dont have any way to measure humidity. when i spoke to 'farmer dick' at the feed store, he said that he used to hatch tons of all sorts of birds together in a large bator. didnt measure humidity. his advice to me was to open the vents, mist them if i feel i have to, have water in the bottom, and dont let condensation form in the bator. our spring weather is perfect for a hatch. im also watching thier air sack to make sure its getting bigger, but not to much. all 24 of them are big, moving around and seem good at the moment.
    any thoughts?

2. SangaChicken

SangaChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Memphis
    Humidity is important yes, but don't less it stress you to paranoia. I did a TON of research and ultimately had to abandon a failed first hatch and go out of town. As an afterthought, I left my eggs with my family "Just in case" and with ZERO humidity (no water, so the only humidity they had was what was in the air!), they hatched two gorgeous babies on DAY 26!

Do everything you can, and put the rest in whatever creator you believe in hand's. Chickens have no way of measuring their own humidity levels for hatching and they do just fine! Trust your instincts! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

3. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    I agree with that answer. I am reading lots about humidity too and getting worried. I am on day 15 and doing everything I can to get it right but I agree you should not get over worried. do your best and cross your fingers!! And good luck [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Let me say that humidity IS very important. Not to the point that you need medication LOL, but after you have a batch of great eggs pip and die, or dry to the shell and have an awful time trying to help them all out, you won't understand the magnitude of importance that humidity holds. You can get cheap thermomoter/hygrometer combos at your local retailer. $8 is cheap when compared to a bunch of dead chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by