OK, fess up

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Ed62, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Ed62

Ed62 Chillin' With My Peeps

We have many members who have a user name which offers no indication of the gender of the person. I recently started a thread, and mentioned a member by saying "she". But "She" could easily have been a "He". [​IMG] I guess I just think there are more females here than males. So what are you? I'm an old man. [​IMG]

Ed

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Yeah...with some members I've assumed one gender (never good to assume I've been told [​IMG]), only to discover weeks later that I was mistaken. The fact that I was mistaken rather than wrong should tell you that I'm a woman...hehee [​IMG]

3. silkieroo

silkieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Durham NH
    I am female! [​IMG] But my Sig. line does say "momma" ! [​IMG]

4. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    I'm female, not that you could tell from my username, however my sig says I am a wife and mom, so I hope people get that!

5. Damummis

Damummis Chickenista

Apr 29, 2009
    Mid-Coast
    Sig lines do help figure out who is male and female. But I do agree I have put my foot in my mouth more than once.

I am Da-Mummis. The mom, in little girl speak. Female

6. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Female, although I have referred to as a "he" a few times on here.

I think I do mention DH in my sig, not that it means anything nowadays

7. dreamcatcherarabians

dreamcatcherarabians Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Stillwater
    I'm female, though I usually refrain from disclosing even that much on forums. Too many wierd folk out there, if ya no wat I mean.

8. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

I too have made errors regarding gender in my posts ~ hopefully it hasn't offended anyone. I think if you don't make your gender clear by your user name or signature line then you shouldn't be upset if someone makes an honest mistake.

I am female as indicated by my user name and the mention of a DH in my signature.

9. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

I try to make it clear with girly avatars. Of course, my current avatar isn't completly feminine. But I got tired of princesses and whatnot. [​IMG]

10. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I applaud you for having the good manners and sensitivity to be concerned about this. It is sometimes awkward to refer to someone if you don't know their gender. You often have to use the plural "they" instead of the correct singular "he" or "she". But if someone is not clear on their gender in their posts, they have no reason to be upset if you use a more generic term or just guess wrong.

I remember when the rule taught in school was that if you did not know, you used the generic "masculine" instead of "feminine" and that was considered correct English. But that was a lot of decades ago and times have changed. I'm sure I occasionally slip up but I do try to be careful about gender.

I don't really care if someone on here calls me he, she, or it. In most things other than my more personal private life, I find gender pretty irrelevent. I'll hold a door open for men or women, young or old. It depends on the circumstances more than the gender.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by