OK fine... you WIN!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by technodoll, Nov 25, 2009.

1. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    Silkie pullet goes broody Sunday afternoon.

Leave silkie 6 eggs to sit on all day yesterday.

Move silkie and eggs last night in the dark, no problems.

Find silkie has abandoned eggs this morning, and is frantic to return to "her" nest.

Fine - six eggs for the dogs, then.

Spend the day taking silkie OFF the nesting box and OUTSIDE with the flock.

Dozens of times.

STUBBORN, much?

3pm, black sexlink lays egg in nesting box, which silkie promptly confiscates.

FINE. YOU WIN.

Mark the egg with a big X (in pencil) and there, have fun girlfriend! I'm not gonna bother you anymore!

Let's see if we get a chick in 3 weeks...

*rolls eyes*

2. adorable

adorable Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    Bring her here [​IMG] I have 12 eggs sitting in a nest. Waiting for someone to go broody .....I can really use her.[​IMG][​IMG]

3. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Oh dear!

Well she seems to be all silky with her determination to be broody, but reminds me of my 9-year old son with her insistance on doing it her way. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

4. technodoll

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    Yep - silkie all the way, LOL!

Either she sits on an empty nest for weeks or I give her a couple eggs to keep her busy...

I hate the feeling of "playing the life or death game", I am allowing a possible life to be created and what if things go wrong? I'll kick myself forever... but then again this is what birds do, hormones kick in and instruct them to hatch eggs for the survival of the species, who am I to keep taking them away to eat them?

[​IMG]

I'm not equipped to handle so much dramah!

ps: she's only 8 months old and has only been laying for about 3 weeks! what the heck!

5. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    Well I am waiting for someone to explain to me the steps needed to move a broody to a better place, because I have never been able to convince them to set anywhere but where they planned on setting. I have to just work around her. Either check her everyday for new eggs that don't belong in her clutch or cage her in, so no one bothers her work. I have fixed nests in brooders and introduced hens to them, but if that wasn't her idea of where she was hatching her babies, it wasn't going to happen.

6. Heck, my two silkie hens FINALLY got the broodiness out of them for the winter (I HOPE) and they are running about and going outside once again.

Silkie hens are the best mommas.

7. technodoll

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    My biggest question is, once the eggs have hatched (assuming there are viable chicks!) can I then move them to a secure space?

Will the momma tend to her babies or ignore her because she hates her new location?[​IMG]

8. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    that should not be a problem at all. I have never had a problem brooding chicks with their mom where ever I needed to.

9. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    He he I read this thread and it sounds so familar. Not yesterday but the day before I went out and found one of my silkie crosses just sitting where she usually lays her eggs. I lifted her up there were none there so I put her out with the flock. Back again same spot. I moved her to a dog crate and I gave her 3 eggs. In the morning she had gotten off the eggs and desperately wanted out. I let her out and she went to the other spot. Eggs were cold the dogs had a nice breakfast.

Kicked her out with the flock did some rearranging I had to do with(the never used yet) nesting boxes and put fresh hay down. Came back a few hrs later silkie cross in the dog crate.

I have a few of her eggs in the bator that will be hatching in a few days. Should I just give her some of those? I'm thinking that might stop her broodiness! Set for 4 days and babies? What do you guys think? The eggs in the bator aren't particularly important to me. But they are so close to hatching I may feel bad if I put them out there and something happens to them....I don't know...First time with a broody chicken and shes only 6 months old.

10. technodoll

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    that should not be a problem at all. I have never had a problem brooding chicks with their mom where ever I needed to.

OK then so once the chicks have hatched it's a different story, the mama hen can be moved to wherever with the babies and all will be fine?

but if you try to move her with the eggs, she will most likely get off them?

so complicated... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by