Ok, folks, Unveiling The Ameraucana Breeding Coop(Added Pics)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by speckledhen, Jul 23, 2007.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

When I decided to keep an Ameraucana cockerel for my two blue pullets, I also wanted to build another coop since my other two roosters have their own women and their own private coops/runs. I told DH it didn't have to be fancy. He said, "Well, what if it is?" and proceeded to design this. You never know what an artist will do, LOL. It isn't completely finished-still needs a working window cut, floor painted and locks put on, but we painted it to protect it against the weather. The fixed window you see is a frosted glass cutting board. The best part is that the entire thing only cost about $60. All the wood except 2 sheets of OSB for roof decking, was free from a log home construction site. I had roofing felt, hinges, scrap wood, 4x4 posts, etc, in our cache of supplies. I had a gallon of paint that matched the other coops, but thought this one deserved its own color, so I bought the green paint; already had the burgandy on hand. DH says it reminds him of the forestry service towers, LOL.
    The coop is 6 ft across at the outside walls and at the peak of the roof, 52 inches high, enough, I think for the three Ameraucanas and my one Speckled Sussex pullet I plan to leave with them. There are two vents across from each other under the overhang, each 35 in x 4 in or so, a pulldown nestbox access door, pull up hens' door, and double access doors for cleanout. It will have an attached and covered run. The window I mentioned will be to the left of the fixed window at the rear of the coop. I plan to put a weathervane on top and artwork on the double access doors to complete it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2007
  2. joanm

joanm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2007
    That looks fantastic and what a great price![​IMG] What a great DH you have!

3. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Thats no coop, It is a work of Art!
    Bravo!!

4. Agilityscots

Agilityscots Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    Wow, Cynthia, it's gorgeous! And so original...and I am VERY jealous of the price! [​IMG]

Amy

5. pharr389

pharr389 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2007
    southeast georgia
    looks great!!! good job!!!

6. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Wow! That's really nice! Not at all what I expected! You certainly have an artistic husband. What kind of vitamins do you give him? I need to pick some up for my dh!

Great job!!!!!

7. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    Oh, Cynthia I love it!!!!!

jackie

8. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Wowee, Cynthia, that's gorgeous!!! Where did you get your DH?

Lori

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

LOL, I got my guy in college and just decided to keep him. Good thing I did, huh? Thanks for all the kind words. We've been working around almost daily thunderstorms for two weeks and even though we aren't quite finished, I thought it was done enough to post the pics. My perfectionist DH is not satisfied with the roofing, although I think he did fine, not being a roofer, but roofing this wild shape!

10. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Cynthia.....

I dont know....maybe it would look better here at MY place! LOL
    GREAT JOB DH!!! Now, can I borrow him?? I promise, im a GREAT southern cook!! Biscuits and gravy......porckchops and fried taters...and, even tho I wont eat them, I CAN make grits! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by