Ok for brooder?

Those look great. I'm embarassed to admit that my babies start out in a rubbermaid tote with a screen lid and then graduate to a cardboard box (a huge one from an appliance store) till they grow to the coop. Its working out great though.
I'm just not handy at all!
Lori

I'm no expertbut...... That looks like it would work, but I wouldn't use it personally. I'm not too sure about the whole pool thing, and I'm not a big fan of using cardboard boxes. I tried it- messy and stinky. Chick learn to fly pretty early on, and in about 3-4 weeks they'll be flying out of that pool. I just used a simple plastic tote as my brooder. For my four chicks I used one tub from Wal-Mart that was about 2' by 1 1/2' and 2' tall. As they grew, I put chicken wire over the top opening to keep them in, but they still had plenty of head room due to the height. That box probably cost me about $12. It was super easy to clean- just dump the shaveings out, poor some clorox in it, and spray it down with a hose.

I use a big cardboard box- it's free, easy, and unless you raise new batches of chicks quite often, why store a brooder? Just burn it/throw it away and start fresh next year.

Very true jaku! Thanks for the advice! i'll probably go up to walmart and ask them for a big box. (i will be know as crazy girl from then on!!)

I snagged a watermelon box from the supermarket. It is working fabulously. Though with 11 chicks, I expect them to outgrow it any day now, then I'm doomed. Maybe scam another one and tape them together?

Back
Top Bottom