Ok for chicks to go outside now?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Southern28Chick, May 24, 2007.

1. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    My chicks are 3 and a half weeks old. I live in North Carolina and it is HOT!!!! Saturday it's supposed to be 91 degrees. Is it ok for them to move outside this weekend? They're going to be 4 weeks old on Monday.

Thanks!

2. Malibufarmer

Malibufarmer Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2007
    ya but make give sure to give them some shade. get them a fan if it is to hot out side

Last edited: May 24, 2007
  3. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Mine have been outside for almost 2 weeks now. Put them out when they were 3 weeks old. I'm outside of Gastonia

4. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    Ok, thanks y'all. I'm so nervous about letting them out. I'll get over it. (First time chicken mom) [​IMG]

5. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Quote:It's my first time raising day-old chicks and I'm loving it!!! We have them in an indoor brooder right now as they are going on 2 weeks old. Told hubby last night that when it was time for me to move them outside to the coop that I'd probably set our tent up out there just so I don't worry about them as much! [​IMG]

6. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I had mine in a tiny tractor outside when they were 3 1/2 weeks old. Then at 4 1/2 weeks they moved into their coup but were not allowed outside as there was no fencing. Now we have a make-shift tractor until all the fencing is finished and we bring out 5 or 6 out at a time to let them relish the outdoors. Here is a picture from today, they are now six weeks old. I am really afraid to let them out to free range the first time(won't be until they are much older)as I am so attached to all of them now that I am afraid of losing any. ha

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    lower picture is the same two birds, white(yellow chick)and blue cochin when they were younger.

Last edited: May 27, 2007
  7. Half-a-dozen

Half-a-dozen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2007
    NJ
    Does anyone happen to know- if they go outside (at 4 weeks old) We live in NJ do you need a heat lamp at night still???
    At what temp. or how old till you don't need anymore heat?

P.S. What is the name of that gray chicken in the picture above? I love it!

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2007
  8. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    They're outside! Check out my thread on General Discussion. I think I posted it as "Chicks Outside!!! Warning a lot of pics."
    Does anyone happen to know- if they go outside (at 4 weeks old) We live in NJ do you need a heat lamp at night still???
    At what temp. or how old till you don't need anymore heat?

I'm not sure about your weather up in NJ but here in NC it's been about 90-95 degrees and about 62 at night. If you have warm days they should be fine but at night if it's cold then you may want a lamp, I would think.​

9. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Quote:That is my blue cochin. I have four of them, but different colors. I think they are awesome looking if I do say so myself! [​IMG]
    Mine went out to the closed in coup at a young age with a 75wt. light bulb, I left it on 24/7 as I was a worry wart. They have their feathers now so I have turned off the light unless the temp. turns cool.

Last edited: May 27, 2007
  10. icewb8

icewb8 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2007
    People stress too much about bringing their chicks outside, naturally they dont have any heat lamp over them or anything, they dont need one at all in NJ this time of year, if they get cold they huddle together and stay warm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by