1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ok for the girls to eat?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by tlharv, Sep 17, 2009.

1. tlharv

tlharv Out Of The Brooder

Stuff I see them eating from my back yard... wondering if it's all ok and won't poison the eggs!

Slugs
    Sowbugs
    Earthworms
    Red wiggler worms from the compost bin
    Ants
    Termites
    Various beetles
    Moss

None of the above have been sprayed first... just au naturel. Ok for the hens and ok for eggs, right?

How about those mushrooms that pop up in Autumn that aren't good for people to eat? Would anything get passed to the eggs?

Thanks,
    Tom

2. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I have puff balls in my yard, now we know it is ok to eat them when fresh but.......my poultry won't touch them. Seems to me that they know what they can or cannot eat. Mine free range and believe me, there is plenty that they shouldn't eat and they don't eat it.

3. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    There is nothing in that list that will hurt a bird or their eggs. In fact the more bugs, grasses, etc... they get the darker and richer the egg yolks will get.

Matt

4. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Oh and my birds won't touch mushrooms

matt

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:agreed

6. rstampa

rstampa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Tampa, Florida
    My girls free range and put themselves back in their run when their done. They dive into the weeds and scratch up all sorts of bugs under the bushes and trees. They seem to know what is good and what is bad for them. I'd say for the most part. I don't use pesticides or fertilizers. I just water when there is a dry spell.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by