Ok garden experts....newbie has some questions!!

FLchook

Songster
12 Years
Oct 27, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Ok, finally going to start a garden. Ive been saying it for a few years now, but the prices of everything has gone through the roof, so its something that has to be done now. I figured growing my own veggies will help. Anyway....Ive got about 1.5 months to get it ready to plant.

I plan on building the garden up, I have several 2x8s laying around, so garden will be 8" high. Fencing will be added to keep some feathered butts out
big_smile.png

Anyway, the soil here is seriously poor. Sand mostly. So I was thinking I would go get the free compost from the dump, mix in a bunch of horse and chicken poo. Tiller and let sit.

Will this work?

Oh...and is it a good idea to start the plants in little cups, then transplant. Or just plant the seeds in the garden?

Thanks....
Shannon

PS..I live in central Florida, so our next planting season starts in Sept.

I know what you mean about the soil or should I say sand here.
I think your plan would go better if you make a compost pile with what you mention.
Then just before planting time till that mixture in.
Good luck

Check the gardening forum, TheEasyGarden. There's a link in the blue bar at the top of the forum page.

Yep, alot of good help here and there. The main thing is to get started. Learning from mistakes makes you a better gardener year after year. I've been at this longer than I can to share, however I'm still learning new things every year.

Give it your best, and see how it goes. Be happy with your first harvest, and improve from there.

My experience with the square foot gardens is possitive, and keep them watered.
barnie.gif

bigzio

I knew there was a sister site for gardens...but for the life of me couldnt remember it, or find it. Go figure it was right in front of me the whole time LOL.

..........so 6" of compost/manure not a good idea?

Sounds like a good plan to me. Till the compost/fertilizer in now so it has time to start breaking down. And chicken manure needs time to "cool off." I let it age about 6 weeks before planting in it.
Some plants do better as seedlings and others can be planted as seeds. It depends on the plant. If you're planting a fall garden, cabbage, broccoli, collards, etc., I plant seedlings. You could probably get a crop of beets in Fla. in Sept. Just sprinkle the seeds on the bed and cover lightly. Water is the key, though you probably get plenty of that. Have fun, and enjoy the fruits of your labor. There is nothing more rewarding than growing your own.

If you are going to make a raised bed you may want to check out the website and book for Square Foot Gardening. I totally poo-pooed the method, but we tried it this year (my wife is persisent) and I am pleasantly suprised with the results. The method was designed by an engineer. The biggest benefit is the low maintenance and watering required with the suggested soil mixture. My garden is thriving and we are eating well!

---Mark

I would start with plants it's easier for them to acclimate than for the seeds to try to take off if you know what I mean they'll be "stunned" for about a week. Keep watering and make sure they root in.

You also lose about 2-4 weeks of growth by doing seeds. If your next growing season starts in a month an a half you would have to plant the seeds in a few weeks to get them up to speed.

You do need the soil to level out after adding manure and compost. I would also see if you can buy a little soil tester just to make sure you have the right mixture. Nothing like planting and having everything die due to soil. My Mom has terrible soil. They add manure and the like to help it and till it many times. But Dad starts this months before the plants go in. We fortunately don't have this problem yet. The plants haven't robbed us of the rich soil yet.

Back
Top Bottom