Ok genetic geniuses color questions

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by daisyjack, Jul 20, 2011.

1. daisyjack

daisyjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2010
    Campbellsville KY
    How do you make a Mauve Orpington?
    What color would you get when mixing chocolate and lavender?
    Thanks

2. Savannah Poultry

Savannah Poultry The Source

Mar 29, 2010
    Lakeview, OR
    I'm not sure about the muave orpington. But if you cross a chocolate with a lavender you'll get a chocolate colored chicken that carries the lav gene. or you'll get a black colored chicken that carries lav and choc.

3. Savannah Poultry

Savannah Poultry The Source

Mar 29, 2010
    Lakeview, OR
    Quote:Okay after doing a little research I found that you get the muave color when you cross a blue/splash with a chocolate.

4. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:Okay after doing a little research I found that you get the muave color when you cross a blue/splash with a chocolate.

its called Planitum Blue if both genes are dominant.. Het Blue and Het Dun

Muave I heard was Lavender and sex linked recessive chocolate wich its way harder to get but "Should" look similar...

I'll post pics of Planitum blue

Edit

Mr. Henk is breeding Platinum blue color to his flock by combining Blue(Bl/bl) and Het Dun...

here are some of his Platinum Blue pullets

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  5. daisyjack

Jan 5, 2010
    Campbellsville KY

its called Planitum Blue if both genes are dominant.. Het Blue and Het Dun

Muave I heard was Lavender and sex linked recessive chocolate wich its way harder to get but "Should" look similar...

I'll post pics of Planitum blue

Edit

Mr. Henk is breeding Platinum blue color to his flock by combining Blue(Bl/bl) and Het Dun...

here are some of his Platinum Blue pullets

http://thumbnails15.imagebam.com/14143/6496ec141422828.jpg

Is Dun the same color as chocolate but it's not sex linked or is chocolate a little bit diffent then the dun color

6. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:No.. Recessive Chocolate is a Sex link gene totaly different from Autosomal Dun, one copy of autosomal dun can give you a chocolate colored bird, depending on melanizers present.. two copies of Dun will give you a kakhi colored bird

Dun is an allele of dominant white and the final color is influenced by other genes, Melanizers and Pheomelanin enhancers will change the outcome...

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Chocolate (choc) is sex-linked recessive. Chocolate is like gold and silver, the male can have two doses and the female only one, because its on the sex chromosome. So a chocolate cock has two doses of the chocolate gene to express it (its recessive so one dose won’t express!) and the female needs only one dose to be chocolate to express it.
    The counterpart of sex-linked is called ‘autosomal’, that means on both sexes the same expression of a gene.

Dun colour is autosomal, it looks/acts the same on the hen and the cock. Dun colour is a bit of a weird gene because its located on the site where dominant white is located too. Dun colour is an allele of dominant white.
    Best comparison of Dun is with blue. One dose makes the dark brown dun, hobby name "chocolate" in some breeds like Old English Game Bantams and Polish. Two doses make dun splash, hobby name khaki. Dun color breeds as follows:

Two doses (dun splash or khaki) breed true, so 100% dun splash or khaki.
    Dun splash x black will give dark brown dun (100%).
    Dun splash x dark brown dun gives dun splash (50%), dark brown dun (50%).
    Dark brown dun x dark brown dun gives dun splash (25%), dark brown (50%) and black (25%).
    Dark brown dun x black gives 50% dark brown dun and 50%

Most breeds called "chocolate" in the U.S. are relay Dun.

Chris

8. daisyjack

Jan 5, 2010
    Campbellsville KY
    Ok Basically what I want to know is if I had a chocolate orpington rooster (sex link not Dun) like this
    [​IMG]

what do i mate it with to get this

[​IMG]
    I think it might be splash but i am not sure.

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Are you in the U.S.?

Chris

10. daisyjack

Jan 5, 2010
    Campbellsville KY
    Quote:Chocolate (choc) is sex-linked recessive. Chocolate is like gold and silver, the male can have two doses and the female only one, because its on the sex chromosome. So a chocolate cock has two doses of the chocolate gene to express it (its recessive so one dose won’t express!) and the female needs only one dose to be chocolate to express it.
    The counterpart of sex-linked is called ‘autosomal’, that means on both sexes the same expression of a gene.

Dun colour is autosomal, it looks/acts the same on the hen and the cock. Dun colour is a bit of a weird gene because its located on the site where dominant white is located too. Dun colour is an allele of dominant white.
    Best comparison of Dun is with blue. One dose makes the dark brown dun, hobby name "chocolate" in some breeds like Old English Game Bantams and Polish. Two doses make dun splash, hobby name khaki. Dun color breeds as follows:

Two doses (dun splash or khaki) breed true, so 100% dun splash or khaki.
    Dun splash x black will give dark brown dun (100%).
    Dun splash x dark brown dun gives dun splash (50%), dark brown dun (50%).
    Dark brown dun x dark brown dun gives dun splash (25%), dark brown (50%) and black (25%).
    Dark brown dun x black gives 50% dark brown dun and 50%

Most breeds called "chocolate" in the U.S. are relay Dun.

Chris

Thanks for the info.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by